[Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Damaged Gons; was: Photo: Reading Gondola 34372 With Load

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

I wish I could find the photos, but I haven’t yet.  I used to have a collection of pics of gons damaged by loads.  One was a gon badly damaged from someone dropping a big piece of steel inside.  Smashed through the flooring, damaging the stringers, etc.  Anyone have that pic?

I have tried to replicate them in model form.

I mean, you gotta have damaged, even destroyed gons, right?

Can anyone share their pics of proto or model damaged gons?  TIA!

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gatwood, Elden J SAD
Sent: Monday, May 3, 2021 2:21 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Photo: Reading Gondola 34372 With Load

Bob, Group;

I just love that photo.  Everything in there I like:  Nice weathered gon, inside dunnage, great ingot load.

Cold, not hot.  Rough ingots for re-heating, re-rolling or re-melt.  Nice chalk marks.

I rarely saw heavy steel loads like this with blocking.  They just laid it in, and expected the best:  ingots, slabs, blooms, billets, coil….

Interesting with two at one end, three the other.  Not good weight balance.

Thanks for sharing!  Made my day.

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bob Chaparro via groups.io
Sent: Monday, May 3, 2021 12:20 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Photo: Reading Gondola 34372 With Load

Photo: Reading Gondola 34372 With Load

Photo from the Pullman Library:

https://pullman-lib.smugmug.com/Railroad-R-S/i-73FkDFv/buy

Click on the photo twice for maximum enlargement.

Ingots I assume. Not sure why the load is not braced.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Elden and List Members,

Maybe two decades back, I did this gon (photo attached). Not specifically damaged, but definitely beat up and at the end of its lifetime. I generally liked the end result. Haven't tried to do this again since, but I'm looking forward to maybe doing another similar car. There isn't a specific prototype for this gon, I was experimenting and just playing around testing out some model techniques. This is N scale, by the way.

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2021 11:22 AM
Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Damaged Gons; was: Photo: Reading Gondola 34372 With Load

I wish I could find the photos, but I haven’t yet.  I used to have a collection of pics of gons damaged by loads.  One was a gon badly damaged from someone dropping a big piece of steel inside.  Smashed through the flooring, damaging the stringers, etc.  Anyone have that pic?

I have tried to replicate them in model form.

I mean, you gotta have damaged, even destroyed gons, right?

Can anyone share their pics of proto or model damaged gons?  TIA!

Elden Gatwood