[Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] A variety of steel boxcars, Chicago

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

That is a fabulous collection of cars.

I don’t know the classes of many cars, but I think the PRR box car to left is either class X29F or X29G, due to carbody, lettering in late Shadow Keystone sans serif “PRR”, and the deep side sill with “box” supports.

I think the car number begins with “605”, but can anyone make out the complete car number?

These cars were often used in appliance shipment out of mid-west states like Ohio and Indiana.  Its appearance in Chicago empty could make sense.

Elden Gatwood