[Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Rapido X31a PRR boxcar - roof question

Dave Boss

Hi Eric
              Super weathering ! After air brushing the tint/flat coat,aside from the panpastles, and colored pencil work did you apply any more air brush weathering? Also did you seal the cars again with dull coat? Again very nice work.

Good day
Dave

On Wednesday, October 27, 2021, Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

Todd,

I tint my post-decal flat coat with the car color to reduce the lettering whiteness. I add a couple drop of the car color in the paint cup with Model Master clear flat acryl. Stir well and you can see the hazy flat turn into the hazy car color. This is now my first weathering step. Here are a few hoppers that have had the lettering faded.

http://designbuildop.hansmanns.org/2021/07/03/weathering-progress/

In many cases, the tinted flat coat is a more subtle change. There are before and after photos in this blog post.

http://designbuildop.hansmanns.org/2017/04/21/southern-pacific-a-50-5-automobile-box-car/

Sadly, in April 2020 parent company Testors announced the Model Master paint line will be discontinued. If there are specific MM colors or products you like to use, stock up while you can.

I have a bottle of Vallejo Matt Varnish on hand to try soon. Others have used Krylon products for the flat coat, but I think those are only available in rattle cans.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN