Topics

NP 10000 Series Boxcars by Rapido

Dean ONeill

STMFC,
A couple notes about the excellent Rapido HO NP boxcars in the 100000-13999 series.

The January issue of Railroad Model Craftsman has a nine page, 20 photo article by Chris Frissell that describes simple but highly effective weathering for this common steam era car. The article leans a little more towards the 1960s, but many of the techniques could apply to the Steam era.

Additionally, just a reminder, the NPRHA ordered custom road numbers from Rapido for the second run, and those acclaimed boxcars can be found in the NPHRA store for prices well below MSRP:
Modeling - Cars - NPRHA Company Store

Finally, the NPRHA also offers Cartograf printed HO decals including authentic chalk marks and common stencils for this car series, here:
Modeling - Decals - NPRHA Company Store

Thanks,
Dean ONeill
NPRHA Modeling Committee

PS - want access to over 5000 Northern Pacific Railway steam locomotive photos, along with over 100 elevation and section drawings? You need to See It All!:
Vista Dome Package 2020 - NPRHA Company Store

Todd Sullivan

All -

Chris Frissell's article is really well done, with a variety of weathering styles from moderate to 'is there any paint on that car?'  His techniques are to be commended.  I have just started weathering my F&C NP 36ft boxcar, using Chris's article as a guide.  It's still challenging, and I'm holding my breath and trying to keep the weathering under control enough that I don't have to strip the car and start over.

Rapido's NP 10000 series wood boxcars are terrific.  After looking at many NP steam loco photos from the "Vista Dome Package", I'm surprised how many of these boxcars show up in trains or the background.  I just bought my sixth one - it is destined for MoW service, as inspired by Chris's article.  The decal set for these cars is also noteworthy in that it includes MoW lettering in two styles (roman and gothic) as well as assigned service stencils (think hides), chalk marks, and lots of reweigh stencils and other extras.

Todd Sullivan

Robert kirkham

I’m curious about the repaint rates on these NP cars.  Modelling 1946, I’m wondering whether the chance of seeing a car in the 1945 scheme still slim?  It depends how fast the fleet of cars was re-painted.  So - was it a typical cycle of repaints over a long period of time, or did something unique occur that rushed cars through re-painting at a faster rate?

Rob

On Jan 16, 2021, at 1:55 PM, Todd Sullivan via groups.io <sullivant41@...> wrote:

[...]

Rob,
Not sure if this will help, but I did do a skim of the "Write Up Books" from the 1930s for South Tacoma for boxcar service, or accident repairs. The table below shows the car serviced, year, and that it was "Car Painted Complete". Given that these cars were built in the mid 1920s, indicates that for at lease some cars, repaints were happening relatively soon. But that might have only been due to accidents, not regular maintenance.

Dean ONeill
Redmond WA

South Tacoma Shops - Write Up Books
Date Car Comment
6/2/1930 12965 Car Painted Complete
3/26/1930 10965 Car Painted Complete
3/26/1930 13221 Car Painted Complete
5/19/1930 12324 Car Painted and Stenciled Complete
3/22/1940 13969 Roof painted with Texaco Car Cement
3/22/1940 12935 Roof painted with Texaco Car Cement
3/22/1940 10214 Roof painted with Texaco Car Cement
5/21/1941 10867 Roof coated with Car Cement, Car painted Complete

WILLIAM PARDIE

The discussion last week on the Northern Pacific 10000 series box cars inspired to go to my pipeline and look at my half finished Sunshone kit.  I forget just why it fell on my priorityg list but I expect that it had something to do with a photo.  I had a really inspiring 3/4 view photo of the brake end.  It had gone missing. This photo very clearly showed the Miner hand brake and coupler release mechanism.  I had obtained a photo from someone on the list showing the opposite side of the end. Any help would be appreciated.

I would also appreciate a diagram of the brake appliances.

Thanks in advance for any help:

Bill Pardie

LasrLasr