Topics

NP R23 clone reefer

Fred Jansz

Hi all,
want to add this IM NP reefer to my reefer collection.
Checked the group archives and could find Mr. Hendrickson's remarks about these cars. He mentioned that the lower 91XXX numbers from 1947 did NOT posess the 'Main Street' phrase. Later cars did have it.
I can take it off, no problem, but what about the roof? I've read somewhere it should be silver? Or was that the case on the R25 clones? See picture of the 1947 R23 clone. Thanks for your help.
best regards, Fred Jansz

Rufus Cone

Before you take it off, await further replies.  I believe the lettering change you described took place _during_ production of that group.

--
Rufus Cone
Bozeman, MT

npin53

The black roof is correct. The steel galvanized running boards should just have a little overspray on them. I have a builder's photo, and 91072 does have the Mainstreet slogan.

npin53

Here.

Tim O'Connor

I have always been skeptical of the yellow paint applied to NP R-40-23 models. All
of the color photos I have of NP ice reefers after 1940 are a light orange-yellow color
like the attached photo. But many models have been produced with yellow paint.

Are there any good COLOR photos of these R-40-23 cars when they were new, or reasonably new?

On 9/26/2019 5:46 PM, Fred Jansz wrote:
Hi all,
want to add this IM NP reefer to my reefer collection.
Checked the group archives and could find Mr. Hendrickson's remarks about these cars. He mentioned that the lower 91XXX numbers from 1947 did NOT posess the 'Main Street' phrase. Later cars did have it.
I can take it off, no problem, but what about the roof? I've read somewhere it should be silver? Or was that the case on the R25 clones? See picture of the 1947 R23 clone. Thanks for your help.
best regards, Fred Jansz

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Tony Thompson

I agree with Tim, and I have asked previously on this list about NP reefer color, especially whether and when it changed from yellow to light orange. No answer.
Tony Thompson

On Sep 26, 2019, at 3:35 PM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

[...]

<np_91819 40ft_reefer PCF-1954 double-hinge-door brand-new-paint coupled-to MDT reefer.jpg>

Tom Madden

Here are two WestRail reefers I started over 25 years ago but never finished. Followed Richard's instructions for paint & lettering. The cars are pretty crude by today's standards but Richard called for the same paint on both the PFE and NP versions IIRC - Floquil SP Daylight Orange.

Tom Madden

Greg Martin

Interesting subject as I just founx the original master for this car just last weekend.

Greg Martin