Gesendet: Samstag, 28. September 2019 um 14:34 Uhr
Von: "Fred Jansz" <fred@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Betreff: Re: [RealSTMFC] NP R23 clone reefer
My last contribution to this thread:

- If the base color of the roof was black, why would overspray on the runboard be light gray (compared to the black of the ends)?
- Or is it the anti-slip granulate we see as 'overspray' on the runboard?
- the ends & hardware show as pure black in the picture.
- the hatches show us 2 different hues of gray: around and under the lettering and on the rest of the hatch
  These 2 are significantly different, see picture and Photoshop measurement.
  (BTW: I can't believe the paint & lettering were added OVER the granulate, this part of the hatch was masked while adding the granulate).
- Meaning the original roof paint is showing where the hatch-lettering can be seen.
  This also differs significantly from the black on the tackboard, see Photoshop measurements.

My 2 (or 50) cents: Sides (of this NP R23 91072) chrome yellow, roof red (w granulate), ends & hardware black.
cheers, Fred Jansz

leakinmywaders

Just to reiterate a point Jim Dick made, and Aaron hinted at, the NP was in general watched over by a hierarchy of engaged sticklers.  While not completely unheard of, it was unusual for equipment to stray significantly from the specs in the official painting and lettering diagrams (as revised and noted on specific dates). This was so until the late 1960s, when mergeritis started setting in—and then mainly things went chaotically nonstandard mostly for lettering flat, gon, and hopper repaints, Less so for house cars.

Chris Frissell
Polson, MT

Dennis Storzek

On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 10:16 AM, vapeurchapelon wrote:

I agree; I see a color separation here also. However, before everyone simply assumes the lighter graytone is some sort of red, keep in mind that all blacks don't necessarily match. Many coatings that would fall into the category of "car cement" were asphalt based and dried to sort of a gunmetal gray. Riding the elevated around Chicago in my younger days, I got to look at a LOT of flat roofs, and you could always tell those that were mopped with asphalt rather than tar by the color. However, in the general sense they were all black. I suspect the same is at work here; the coating used on the roof (to seal the laps and hopefully adhere better to the galvanized roof panels than paint would, doesn't match the black paint used on the ends and hardware, but this was acceptable, because the roof surface was going to be covered with soot soon after the car went in service anyway.

Dennis Storzek