Topics

NP R23 clone reefer-Chrome Yellow

Andy Carlson

Chrome Yellow was a single pigment color used in large amounts early in the 19th century. The 1st Pullman Green paint that the Pullman company made after WWl was a blend of Chrome Yellow and Duco Black, both colors were pure paints Pullman acquired for real cheap after the war from the war department. The war department made their olive drab with the same two yellow and black base colors, just with a different mix ratio.

Later, well after WWll, Chrome Yellow was replaced by an industry blend of Cadmium Yellow and Cadmium Orange to eliminate the carcinogenic nature of real Chrome Yellow, which has chromium and lead.

Unless someone is certainly lucky in finding some real old stock Chrome Yellow (The real stuff, not the replacement) we can only get close, but with all of the caveots of surface, age, light conditions and color film differences; close is what everything we do is.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

On Friday, September 27, 2019, 11:19:44 AM PDT, npin53 <npin53@...> wrote:

The car color was called Chrome Yellow. I always try to match it to school bus yellow. Testers does have a chrome Yellow in its product line.

The 1949 built NP reefers with the diagonal panel roofs, were bare galvanized with brown ends.

As for the 1947 cars, mine will be black until someone proves it otherwise, beyond a shadow of a doubt. Black car cement reflected light different than paint.

Aaron Gjermundson