Topics

NP Refrigerators

radiodial868

I was culling through my stash of Reefer kits and came across 2 Red Caboose kits (now Intermountain) in the following paint and car number.  Checked the NPRHS site (http://www.nprha.org/NP%20Refrigerator%20Cars/Forms/Thumbnails.aspx) and the car # doesn't jive. Total Foobie on a PFE body?
RJ Dial
Burlingame, CA

RR-34429

npin53

NP wood reefers had a radial roof.

Aaron Gjermundson

Andy Carlson

And a fishbelly underframe. Dave Koaster in Southern California made a good kitbash by taking a factory painted NP Red Caboose reefer, added a Central Valley NP stock car roof narrowed down about an 1/8" and replaced the underframe with an Accurail fishbelly.

I have the RC reefer and a CVMW NP stock car roof. Buyer would need to source the underframe.

On Monday, November 11, 2019, 8:38:45 PM PST, npin53 <npin53@...> wrote:

NP wood reefers had a radial roof.

Aaron Gjermundson

radiodial868

Duoh!  I shoulda known that having built 7 F&C T&G NP boxcars. And as Andy pointed out, the underframe was fishbelly too. I also seriously doubt that Monad herald is appropriate for 1930's either.
Two more for eBay!
Thanks all,
RJ Dial

npin53

That is correct for the 30's.

Aaron

radiodial868

Interesting. The Monad was in use in 1931?  Man, I've had to discard the Monad decals on all the NP Boxcars I've built (1939) per the Sunshine data sheets, and you tell me that the reefers had it all that time? May have to look into Andy Carlson's kit bash, although not sure what ends to use to match the radial roof casting from Central Valley Model Works.
RJ Dial

Tim O'Connor

The monad goes back to some time after 1893. It was applied to some rolling stock in the 1920s.

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Chuck Soule

Them Monad does go back to the 1890s as an NP symbol.  What changed through time was the extra tags like Yellowstone Park Line, which was in being used in the 1930s.  There is an NP PR brochure at the NPRHA website that talks about the history of the Monad in Asia and that the NP adopted it after the 1893 Columbian Exposition, but I could not find a convenient link to the different variations through time.

Chuck Soule

radiodial868

This sounds interesting and a way to salvage these beautiful looking paint jobs. Andy, when you say narrow the roof by 1/8", do you mean remove the running board and split the roof under the running board and remove the 1/8" there?
Thx,
RJ Dial

John Monrad

Second article listed at link below ("Modifying Central Valley NP Stock Car") describes the procedure for narrowing the roof and hiding the joint:
http://www.nprha.org/modeling/forms/allitems.aspx
Once installed, it's a simple matter to install the correct roof trim on the ends.

John Monrad

radiodial868

2 last questions before I get started on kitbashing. The Mainstreeter stock car article reflects different ends than the PFE reefer end, was that because of the extra bracing the open-sided stock car needed, or did the reefers also have those braces?  The NP Diagrams don't reflect. I have loads of reefer/freight car books, but no NP reefer images in them!
Lastly, I assume the 90128 number is a foobie to match the car.  I'm guessing the correct car would be 93000 series?
RJ Dial

Bob Webber

did you look at the Barringer AC&F Flickr site - there might be builder's photos of them there.....

At 10:51 AM 11/16/2019, you wrote:
2 last questions before I get started on kitbashing. The Mainstreeter stock car article reflects different ends than the PFE reefer end, was that because of the extra bracing the open-sided stock car needed, or did the reefers also have those braces?  The NP Diagrams don't reflect. I have loads of reefer/freight car books, but no NP reefer images in them!
Lastly, I assume the 90128 number is a foobie to match the car.  I'm guessing the correct car would be 93000 series?
RJ Dial

Bob Webber

npin53

Edited

This should help a little bit. A few different Monad and paint scheme variations.

An early series had a single truss rod on each side of the fishbelly center sill. Also, some of the cars had the really nice NP Andrews style truck offered by Tahoe.

Aaron Gjermundson

WILLIAM PARDIE

Every-time I get a photo of an already competed car I find more work to do.  But I love it.

Bill Pardie

On Nov 16, 2019, at 9:10 AM, npin53 <npin53@...> wrote:

This should help a little bit.

Aaron Gjermundson <N.P. 90062.tif><N.P. 93528.tif><NP 94631.jpg>

John Monrad

The NP reefers did not have braces on the ends.

The number is correct for reefers in series 90000-90799 built by NP in 1931-32.

John Monrad

Dennis Storzek

Several people have mentioned substituting an Accurail fishbelly underframe on these cars, but looking at the photos Arron just posted, I note the N.P. cars had crossbearers that drop all the way to the bottom chord of the fishbelly sills, while the Accurail part has shallower crossbearers.  A better source of an underframe with the correct crossbearers would be the Tichy 40' flatcar that is also currently being discussed; it has the proper form of crossbearer.

Dennis Storzek

radiodial868

Dennis, you can see the crossbearers? All I can see is black! Except for the Truss Rod underframe, which also looks fun to do. The Tichy underframe is $3.39 ea, so will use those.
Bob, I searched all over Flickr, what is this Barringer AC&F site you speak of?
Aaron & John, thanks for pictures and the validation of the 90000 series.  Plain ends just like the Red Caboose model. We have plan now.
Also, will order additional trucks from NPRHA (http://store.nprha.org/modeling/trucks/)
Thanks for the info everyone. Will queue this one up as soon as the parts arrive from HobbyInc.
RJ Dial

Bob Webber

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/albums/72157649155982802/

On Sun, Nov 17, 2019 at 08:49 AM, radiodial868 wrote:
Dennis, you can see the crossbearers?
I can on the 90062,

but not on the 93528, so maybe the later series does have shallow CB's like the Accurail UF.

Dennis Storzek

npin53

They all had fishbelly center sills.

Aaron Gjermundson