NP Truss rod boxcar coupled to a NP War Emergency Boxcar on the UP in 1948

gary laakso

A really clear view of the truss rod boxcar and note that the roof only has seam paint, the panels have lost their paint”

https://donstrack.smugmug.com/UtahRails/Emil-Albrecht-Photos/1948-Sep-Black-Rock-and-West/i-BphpbsP/A

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

vapeurchapelon

Also interesting is the bright color on the end of the War Emergency car. AFAIK these cars had either fcr or black ends - but this one looks much lighter.

Greetings

Johannes

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 02. Juni 2021 um 06:38 Uhr
Von: "gary laakso" <vasa0vasa@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Betreff: [RealSTMFC] NP Truss rod boxcar coupled to a NP War Emergency Boxcar on the UP in 1948

A really clear view of the truss rod boxcar and note that the roof only has seam paint, the panels have lost their paint”

https://donstrack.smugmug.com/UtahRails/Emil-Albrecht-Photos/1948-Sep-Black-Rock-and-West/i-BphpbsP/A

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

Randy Hees

I suspect the car ends are the same as the roof and sides...   the different appearance being a product of the lighting...

Randy Hees

Dave Lawler

Also interesting to note is the passenger riding along in the car. That would make a nice "scenery feature" in a model..
Dave Lawler
Avon Lake, OH

lrkdbn

I can't seem to access this photo-am using Firefox on windows XP. Anyone have any ideas?
Larry King

np328

According to my 1944 NP car paint chart (admittedly off by a few years) and I'd need to dig further for later charts however IIRC the paint schemes did not have any major (or even minor) changes between 44 and 48.

1944 NP Color Paint Chart
Freight Equipment
Sides, Ends, WOODEN roof, and running boards - Brown
Trucks, Underframe, METAL roof - Black

Not an expert on color shift of light in photos so I'll leave that to others. Brown was NPs definition for FCR.
I do recall seeing an internal letter on a report on two year old cars w/metal roofs in which cinder cutting was noted on roof seams.  (1952 +/- date)

I do wonder about the progression of galvanization and how this evolved how ever that is more of Tony T's forte.
I am wondering if the roof on the truss rod car could be showing rust as that might photograph lighter.                                             Jim Dick - Roseville, MN

Scott

Is the NP truss rod car the same one that Yarmouth did?  Seems to be missing the logos on right side for sure.

Thanks
Scott McDonald

Paul Doggett

Scott

Is it not the one that Funaro and Camerlengo do.

Paul Doggett.     England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 2 Jun 2021, at 22:17, Scott <repairman87@...> wrote:

Is the NP truss rod car the same one that Yarmouth did?  Seems to be missing the logos on right side for sure.

Thanks
Scott McDonald

Tim O'Connor

Larry - LOL. I often ask myself this question...
I'm still running XP on my 15 year old Pentium... :-P
I just think of it philosophically - there is so much
out there, that it just doesn't matter. :-)

You could spend months going through the Barriger collection
and it's accessible and downloadable on Flickr. And Flickr has
other rail treasures without bound... :-D

Tim O'Connor

On 6/2/2021 4:28 PM, lrkdbn via groups.io wrote:
I can't seem to access this photo-am using Firefox on windows XP. Anyone have any ideas?
Larry King

Sterling, Massachusetts

Scott

Paul,  it sure looks like it!  Think I will add one to the stash.

Thanks!
Scott McDonald