Topics

NPDX 60235 circa 1924

Dennis Storzek

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 05:11 AM, Brian Rochon wrote:
http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-12-02-19/X3418.jpg
Interesting car. I'm away from my reference material; could someone check if it is a nominal 36' car, please? I note the underframe, end sills, and striker casting / drawbar carrier are identical to the NYC designed items on the car that was the prototype for the Accurail 36' boxcar, in fact, the car could be kitbashed from our wood end 36' boxcar and our wood reefer sides. I know the NKP had identical boxcars to the NYC version, likely ordered by NYC for the Lake Erie & Western before they sold that road to the NKP. It would appear that these cars have the same origin, but I was unaware that the NYC had a reefer version of these cars.

Dennis Storzek

Ray Breyer

Hi Dennis,

"Nickel Plate" reefers 60000-60399 held assorted "first names". Built as NKP 60000-60399 by MDT in 1922, the cars were pretty conventional MDT cars built between 1918 and 1924. The NKP almost immediately moved them to NPDX, their reefer leasing company. The cars kept their numbers, except for four cars assigned to express milk service (NKP 700, 701, 900, 901). Those cars got steam lines and green paint.

In 1932 the NKP folded NPDX and leased the cars to General American, which ran the cars as GARE 60000-60399, and later as GARX cars. The lease expired at the end of 1945, and the cars trickled back to the NKP between 1945 and 1948. The cars coming off lease were quickly patched back to NKP reporting marks to be sent home, and the NKP scrapped all of the cars by the end of 1948.

The NKPHTS had Accurail do a special run of the GARX cars last year, and I have "private stock" resin kits and decals for accurate NPDX and MDT cars. Some of the GARX cars are still available, but the future of the resin cars is up in the air (a few of them were on display at Lisle this year)

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

On Monday, December 2, 2019, 02:49:51 PM CST, Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...> wrote:

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 05:11 AM, Brian Rochon wrote:
http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-12-02-19/X3418.jpg
Interesting car. I'm away from my reference material; could someone check if it is a nominal 36' car, please? I note the underframe, end sills, and striker casting / drawbar carrier are identical to the NYC designed items on the car that was the prototype for the Accurail 36' boxcar, in fact, the car could be kitbashed from our wood end 36' boxcar and our wood reefer sides. I know the NKP had identical boxcars to the NYC version, likely ordered by NYC for the Lake Erie & Western before they sold that road to the NKP. It would appear that these cars have the same origin, but I was unaware that the NYC had a reefer version of these cars.

Dennis Storzek

rwitt_2000

A group of refrigerator cars with an interesting history.

We assume this photo was to document another incident of damage.

To me it looks like the bottom of the ice bunker has busted through the end in spite of the extra metal straps.

Bob Witt

Jack Mullen

Dennis,

In case it wasn't clear from Ray's description of these as "conventional MDT cars", these are nominal 40 footers.
Presumably the features matching NYC 36' boxcars are due to shared NYC/Despatch Shops heritage.

Jack Mullen

Dennis Storzek

Yep. I should have counted the cross bearers... Six on these reefers vs. five for the 36' boxcars. Thanks to all who responded.

Dennis Storzek

Greg Martin

Best part of this photo is the shades of the boards, my minds eye converts them to color. Great photo.

Greg Martin

--
Hey Boss,

Somehow I got deleted from this group in late May. I guess someone didn't like me. Jail is a lonely place.

Greg Martin