Topics

NRC express reefer 600 in 1933

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Bud Rindfleisch

Nice photos! Can you say what these cars were painted? I've seen old O scale cars that were a dark green (maybe Pullman Green), but not sure if that was accurate.
     Bud Rindfleisch

np328

These were painted dark green w/gold lettering to match them to the passengers cars.  I found a letter eons ago in the NP General Managers files dated from about the early depression era where a female passenger conveys that "she bought a ticket for what she thought was a first class train (North Coast Limited) and while walking on the platform to board found it to be a mixed freight as there were refrigerator cars she passed by on the way to her seat" and went on in the letter to state her disappointment. 

Years later Janis sings - Oh Lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz, my friends all drive Porsche's, I must make amends.
                                                               As much as things change...
                                                                                                                                                                James Dick   NP archivist    Roseville, MN