Topics

NRC flat end steel 40' reefers

Andy Carlson

Hello-

I have a composite kit made and sold by Stan Rydarowicz. The kit uses an Intermountain kit of a 40' steel ice bunker reefer with swinging doors. The Intermountain white kit box is labeled "RESIN PARTS NRC 18500-19499 Flat End"; the label positioned over the IM kit label. The Kit has rather brief generic instructions that covers actually a kit with new resin sides, which this one doesn't, but does have a twin raised panel resin roof and a pair of flat riveted ends. There is also a fairly nice plastic Apex style of running board with see-through detail. All of the Intermountain kit parts seem to be present.

My curiosity is compelling me to ask this group for the thoughts of how accurate of a kit for this class of 1000 reefers it is and if a good source of decals is available for it.

Thanks everyone,

-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Tim O'Connor

hmmm...

On 4/1/2020 5:14 PM, Andy Carlson wrote:
[...]

Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

This is my only photo of one with flat plate ends

[...]

mopacfirst

I believe the Microscale MDT set(s) is (are) correct.  The paint scheme shown, with the sans serif, can definitely be done with the Microscale set.  I don't know if these cars are old enough that they were first lettered in the MDT Roman style.

Ron Merrick

pennsylvania1954

I am seeing some confusing info. Andy is asking about flat ends for NRC series 18500-19499. Tim provided photos of 18620, decidedly not flat end, and 19208 with flat ends. A photo of 19020, also with flat ends, can be found by searching "NRC" on this list. In my files I also have a photo of 19080 which shows flat ends. When I consult the Jan 1955 ORER, Item 31 is the line for 18500-19299 which includes all four of the cars I cited here. Although this photo evidence is not conclusive, I would hesitate before decaling a model with flat ends any number below 19000.
--
Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

Allan Smith

I Have photos of 19208,19220 and 19286 with flat ends.  Photos of 18609 and 18620 have 4/4 IDE ends.

Al Smith
Sonora CA