NYC 92075

Ken Soroos

In Clark Propst’s listing from an M&StL Seal Book record for the Hopkins Minneapolis Moline plant, on January 3, 1950 NYC car 92075 is listed with the lading “Carbide.” I don’t have an ORER available to pin it down, but would like to know what car type it was at that time and, if possible, see an image of a car from its number series. I believe that carbide would have been transported there in bulk to produce acetylene to be combined with oxygen for use in welding and/or metal cutting. Thanks in advance!

Ken Soroos

Schleigh Mike

Ken,

This is a 50-6  10-6 Boxcar with end doors.  Others will no doubt provide more details.

Mike Schleigh  Grove City, Penna.

On Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 03:53:46 PM EDT, Ken Soroos <kensoroos@...> wrote:

In Clark Propst’s listing from an M&StL Seal Book record for the Hopkins Minneapolis Moline plant, on January 3, 1950 NYC car 92075 is listed with the lading “Carbide.”  I don’t have an ORER available to pin it down, but would like to know what car type it was at that time and, if possible, see an image of a car from its number series.  I believe that carbide would have been transported there in bulk to produce acetylene to be combined with oxygen for use in welding and/or metal cutting.  Thanks in advance!

Ken Soroos

Schleigh Mike

Oh My Goodness!

I thought this sounded familiar!  Ted Culotta models this car in his Volume Four of Prototype Railroad Modeling.  Have at it Ken----Mike Schleigh

On Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 04:05:07 PM EDT, Schleigh Mike via groups.io <mike_schleigh@...> wrote:

Ken,

This is a 50-6  10-6 Boxcar with end doors.  Others will no doubt provide more details.

Mike Schleigh  Grove City, Penna.

On Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 03:53:46 PM EDT, Ken Soroos <kensoroos@...> wrote:

In Clark Propst’s listing from an M&StL Seal Book record for the Hopkins Minneapolis Moline plant, on January 3, 1950 NYC car 92075 is listed with the lading “Carbide.”  I don’t have an ORER available to pin it down, but would like to know what car type it was at that time and, if possible, see an image of a car from its number series.  I believe that carbide would have been transported there in bulk to produce acetylene to be combined with oxygen for use in welding and/or metal cutting.  Thanks in advance!

Ken Soroos

Ken,

My 1958 ORER lists this as series 92000-92099; a 50'  6" boxcar with an IH of 10' 6", 4860 cubic-foot capacity, with a single 8' side door opening. There are no special notes or restrictions on this class. Sorry, but I couldn't find you a photo.

Possible clue: in Richard Hendrickson's article "50-foot Single-door AAR Steel Box Cars from the Proto 2000 HO Scale Kits" (April 1998 RMJ) he noted that the NYC's Despatch Shops built series 91000-91199 in 1939 as lot 673-B. He cites full-length side sills, Murphy panel roof, 5-5 Dreadnaught ends and an 8' Youngstown corrugated door. Chances are good that the series you are looking for would have been much the same. Richard's article provided a photo of P&LE 35976 from lot 698-B which matches the above description. He also offered a photo similar NYC 79613 from lot 677-B which matches the above description, except for being equipped with automobile axle racks. These suggest that the Proto 2000 car is probably what you need.

Hope this is useful.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 3:53 PM Ken Soroos <kensoroos@...> wrote:
In Clark Propst’s listing from an M&StL Seal Book record for the Hopkins Minneapolis Moline plant, on January 3, 1950 NYC car 92075 is listed with the lading “Carbide.”  I don’t have an ORER available to pin it down, but would like to know what car type it was at that time and, if possible, see an image of a car from its number series.  I believe that carbide would have been transported there in bulk to produce acetylene to be combined with oxygen for use in welding and/or metal cutting.  Thanks in advance!

Ken Soroos

Seth Lakin

NYC 92075 is a member of NYC lot 693-B, one of 100 cars numbered 92000-92099 built by Dispatch Shops (East Rochester, NY) in 1941.

Builders photos can be found on the New York Central Historical Society's Online Archive System
https://nycshs.omeka.net/items/show/98033
https://nycshs.omeka.net/items/show/98035
https://nycshs.omeka.net/items/show/98038
https://nycshs.omeka.net/items/show/98040
https://nycshs.omeka.net/items/show/98042

Seth Lakin
Michigan City, IN
NYCSHS Modelers' Committee Chairman

Tim O'Connor

Some of those cars were rebuilt - when less than a year old - with extended height. Here are
a couple of Ted's scans from Ebay.

Tim O'

On 5/12/2021 4:10 PM, Schleigh Mike via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Sterling, Massachusetts