Topics

NYC box car with a star on it

Doug Paasch

I just bought a Bachmann Silver Series (15009) box car, NYC 164613, stamped BLT 10-47.  Under the oval “NEW YORK CENTRAL SYSTEM” logo is a 5-pointed star about 10 scale inches wide.  Does anyone know what the star means?  This is not an REA car with an attendant or anything.  Just a regular 40’ box car.

Thanks,

Doug Paasch

Seth Lakin

Doug, from CanadaSouthern.com notes on NYC painting and lettering notes “A STAR under the oval herald indicates car used in grain service as per note #2 in drawing book J-56487” 
I have a copy of the drawing book on my other computer. I would have to look up more details if needed. 

Seth Lakin
Michigan City IN

Doug Paasch

Thank you Seth.  This info is sufficient for my purposes.

Doug Paasch

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Seth Lakin via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2020 4:48 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] NYC box car with a star on it

Doug, from CanadaSouthern.com notes on NYC painting and lettering notes “A STAR under the oval herald indicates car used in grain service as per note #2 in drawing book J-56487” 
I have a copy of the drawing book on my other computer. I would have to look up more details if needed. 

Seth Lakin
Michigan City IN

Tim O'Connor

While that is true, I wonder if it simply implies a car with tight floors and walls
appropriate for clean lading that doesn't require a lot of dunnage (that could harm
the walls and floors).

Later NYC cars had a yellow circle with a black "A" - is that basically the same thing?

Tim O'Connor

On 1/22/2020 6:48 PM, Seth Lakin via Groups.Io wrote:

Seth Lakin
Michigan City IN

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Seth Lakin

Tim wrote “ Later NYC cars had a yellow circle with a black "A" - is that basically the same thing?”

Yes, a clean loading only car. Not necessarily grain loading only as many 50’ both single and double door boxcars were given the circled A. 

Seth 

Bob Chaparro

Even though the car was intended for grain loading ("A star under the oval herald indicates car used in grain service") I would suppose the car still would be inspected before loading and given the appropriate grade card tag (see examples) if it passed inspection.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA