NYC Steel boxcar roof colors

Brad Andonian

I’m building a pair of sunshine nyc 1944 cars… paint notes suggest a black roof.   I have not seen images of this.   Can anyone confirm?

 Thanks
Brad Andonian

Charlie Duckworth

The Proto48 decal site says the NYC 1916 and 1924 boxcars were boxcar brown overall except the underframe and trucks were coated with black car cement.  If that helps…
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Seth Lakin

Brad, do you have a specific lot you are looking for? As built or repainted?

As built most NYC 1940’s steel boxcars were oxide ends, roof and body. Later repainted some had black ends and roofs. Later some roofs did get F1 car cement applied to the roofs which is black.

Here is a builders photo lot 734-B 1944 DSI built 40’ box.

https://nycshs.omeka.net/items/show/112631

Seth Lakin
Michigan City IN

Todd Sullivan

Brad,

I just looked through my copies of Morning Sun's Color Guide books on NYC equipment, and there was perhaps one photo of an NYC boxcar painted BCR with a black roof.  Some of the really old rusted equipment seemed to have black roofs, but I think it was just excessive rusting.  Apparently, for a while, Descpatch Shops built boxcars and painted them jade green with black ends and roofs, but that was after your 1944 cars.  All the jade green cars in these photos had black trucks and underframes.

It's a little hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like some BCR boxcars received black underframes and trucks, while some trucks were painted BCR (maybe just overspray from painting the sides).  I noticed that these latter cars had the NYC's Early Bird herald, so that may date that scheme.  They also appeared to be Despatch Shops built cars.

I hope this helps.

Todd Sullivan

Steve Haas

Note that description Charlie provides says “underframe”, not “underbody”.  In new construction, _Underframes_ received their coating, be it car cement or paint, _before_ the “floor” (often wood) was installed. This would may have received a protective coat of some kind, but it was rarely painted the same color as the underframe itself.

Some have noted that it doesn’t matter as the entire underbody (frame and flooring) usually takes on the color of whatever dust/mud/debris that has accumulated, so don’t bother to make the underside of the flooring look like wood.

However, choosing to emulate that wood underbody on our models is one thing, assuming that entire underbodies of new construction (undersides of floors included) painted the underframe color for the beginning is ignoring, and perhaps burying reality.  We owe it to the historical record to record this correctly.

Best regards,

Steve

Steve Haas

Snoqualmie, WA