Topics

NYO&W

Armand Premo

The NYO&W seems to be like a Hermit RR.Photos of cars in interchange seem to be rather rare and models even rarer.Does anyone have any information on this  RR ?  Armand Premo

John Barry

Armand,

There is a small, but dedicated group of NYOW folks still active on Yahoo groups,
owrhs@....

I discovered them while trying to sell my NicklePlateProducts NYOW 4-8-2.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696

PO Box 44736
Washington, DC 20026-4736

On Sunday, February 2, 2020, 08:52:05 AM EST, Armand Premo <arm.p.prem@...> wrote:

The NYO&W seems to be like a Hermit RR.Photos of cars in interchange seem to be rather rare and models even rarer.Does anyone have any information on this  RR ?  Armand Premo

David

O&W didn't have much to do after their anthracite traffic collapsed in the 1940s. The 7/50 ORER shows 234 hoppers, 35 gondolas, 34 box cars, and 11 flats; versus 2803 hoppers, 202 gondolas, 58 box cars, 25 stock cars, and 106 flats in January 1940.

David Thompson

Bill J.

For models, keep watch on eBay.  You might find some steam and an OW wood drop-bottom gon.

For books, check bookfinder.com.

Also, brasstrains.com is a good place:  https://brasstrains.com/Classic/Trains/Roads/107/New-York-Ontario-Western?showsold=False    They have a terrific book; it is pricey but well worth it.

Bill Jolitz

Bruce Smith

I think I saw a photo of a NYO&W hopper car at Harriman, on the Union Pacific!  😉 (note: this might have been in Mike Brock universe...)

Armand, as others have noted, this road was definitely a shaky proposition for most of the modern steam era, and with a tiny fleet of cars, the chances of seeing one off home rails was pretty darn small. As noted, there is a dedicated cadre of fans and modelers of the "Old and Weary" including Bill Schneider.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, Al

From: David <jaydeet2001@...>
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2020 10:55:53 EST

O&W didn't have much to do after their anthracite traffic collapsed in the 1940s. The 7/50 ORER shows 234 hoppers, 35 gondolas, 34 box cars, and 11 flats; versus 2803 hoppers, 202 gondolas, 58 box cars, 25 stock cars, and 106 flats in January 1940.
As an on-and-off O&W modeler, 'hermit road' is a pretty decent description. Once the on-line anthracite mines played out / went bankrupt in 1937 the railroad (which held mortgages on those very mines) followed them into bankruptcy and never emerged, shutting down almost exactly 20 years later. The bankruptcy trustees took a different tact, working to make the O&W a bridge road between western connections and Maybrook Yard into New England. The haul was very short, the interchange at Coxton Yd with the LV tenuous with backing moves, and there was the other 2/3s of the railroad that managed to avoid every major population area.

To my knowledge, the O&W never owned a 40' box car of any type, let alone a steel box car. When the K brake ban was approaching, the road bought around 17 USRA two bays from the New Haven that were fitted with AB brakes as none - zero - of the O&W's cars had them.

Having said all that, it's a neat road to model. Camelbacks (double cabs in O&W parlance), some handsome 4-8-2s, and a diesel fleet that's bog easy to model with off the shelf FTs, F3s, and NW2s. The 5 GE 44 tonners are not in plastic, but W&R models did pretty little brass ones that run well. Short trains are kosher. Nickle Plate Products made most of the major steam classes though some require some hefty repowering. NPP and the Old & Weary Car Shops did cabeese; the latter did the drop bottom coal gons in brass...also available from F&C in resin.

Craig Zeni
Cary NC

Marty McGuirk

I've not seen many photos of NYO&W cars offline, but this is one I have seen - gondola 6366 in Sheldon Springs, Vermont in Sept 1941.

https://www.loc.gov/resource/fsa.8c07268/

Marty McGuirk

From: David <jaydeet2001@...>
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2020 10:55:53 EST

[...]

Dennis Storzek

On Mon, Feb 3, 2020 at 05:04 AM, Craig Zeni wrote:
When the K brake ban was approaching, the road bought around 17 USRA two bays from the New Haven that were fitted with AB brakes as none - zero - of the O&W's cars had them.
Those must be the cars I've found photos of... battered black USRA twins with a simple "OW" and number in white, no name, no herald. Somehow the "ow" seems fitting.

Dennis Storzek

Frank Pearsall

Good morning:

As far as I know, Bob lives in the upstate N.Y. area  around or in Saratoga Springs. I talked to him several years ago.

He wrote a great hardcover book (350 plus pages), called “The New York, Ontario & Western Railway and the Dairy Industry in Central New York State." Published by Garrigues House Publishers  in 1995 (I think they’re gone).

The only current rolling stock I’ve seen lately are the Bowser 1200 series GLa Type 2-Bay Hoppers done several years ago.

Great railroad to model and we have the very active O&W Historical Society that published some great books about all aspects of the railway.

Frank A. Pearsall
Brevard, N.C.

On Feb 2, 2020, at 11:43 PM, Todd Sullivan via Groups.Io <sullivant41@...> wrote:

And Bob Mohowski, devoted O&W modeler, who is still probably lurking about in upstate New York.

Todd Sullivan
Rowlett, TX
_._,_._

James Brewer

There was another book written as well about the NYO&W.  It is titled O&W, the Long Life and Slow Death of the New York, Ontario & Western Ry., by William F. Helmer, published 1959 by Howell-North.  I am not sure where I found this book; this has been in my library for a long time.

Jim Brewer
Glenwood MD