Topics

offline hoppers (was War Emergency hoppers)

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@...>

Quickly perusing scanned photos, I find an N&W hopper in Toronto
in 1956, and another in East Texas in the 1970's (also a B&O and
some MP cars, all together at an oil refinery). And I did mention
to Mr. Brock once before that a Milwaukee Road video I rented had
a shot of a freight near Bozeman, Montana with an N&W hopper just
a few cars back of the locomotive.

If anyone is dead set on getting it absolutely straight, the
only recourse is actual conductor's books or other records like
Jeff English's Rutland data. The coal business and the railroad
business were intimately linked (many railroads had interest in
coal companies or vice versa) and the patterns of "typical" car
movements no doubt were strongly influenced by where the coal
came from, who bought it, and what affiliations (if any) there
were between the producer, the railroads, and the consumer.

I shrink from a task so complicated!! I say, if you can find a
photo, any photo, that's all the proof you need!

Timothy O'Connor <timoconnor@...>
Marlborough, Massachusetts