Old fiction story about electric trains

Charlie Vlk

Please excuse the off-topic cross posts but somebody might be able to help
me with a search for a book I fondly remember from my childhood.
In the 1950s I used to spend hot summer days in the air-conditioned
basement Children's Department of the Carnegie Library in Brookfield,
Illinois. The book I am looking for was probably published in the 1920s or
1930s and was an illustrated story about a boy who got a big crate of
electric trains via Railway Express. I seem to remember the crate had an
endless supply of track sections that allowed the kid to run the railroad
all over town. I have done a number of good internet searches and haven't
come up with any fiction book that old on involving electric toy trains.
If anybody remembers reading the book or its title I'd love to hear from you
of-list! I have contacted the library but as they are about to move into
their third building and no doubt the book has been long gone from the
collection for more than a half-century I don't expect to be able to check
it out there!!!
Thanks,
Charlie Vlk