Topics

Old Photos from Southern Railway in Knoxville yard

George Courtney

A much younger,  model railroad friend of mine sent me this photos.  They are on Southern Railway in Knoxville.  I didn't see a Monogram on the Southern Boxcar so I suspect before 1937.  He found them in a old grocery store near the area.  At age three I lived in the hill back of the viaduct.    George Courtney.

George Courtney

While we were very poor at the time, I actually lived in a house on the hill in the background, not inside the hill its self.  I recall a steam switcher working near here in 1946 or 1947 when Dad walked with me down to the viaduct at three or four.

George Courtney

Tony Thompson

George Courtney wrote:

A much younger,  model railroad friend of mine sent me this photos.  They are on Southern Railway in Knoxville.  I didn't see a Monogram on the Southern Boxcar so I suspect before 1937.  He found them in a old grocery store near the area.

   Interesting photos! Nice to see clear images of freight cars like this. Has to be before 1937, given the billboard reefers.

Tony Thompson

Richard Townsend

I like the tank cars. One Texaco, two Sinclair, and a three-compartment car.

On Sep 29, 2020, at 6:57 PM, Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:

George Courtney wrote:

A much younger,  model railroad friend of mine sent me this photos.  They are on Southern Railway in Knoxville.  I didn't see a Monogram on the Southern Boxcar so I suspect before 1937.  He found them in a old grocery store near the area.

   Interesting photos! Nice to see clear images of freight cars like this. Has to be before 1937, given the billboard reefers.

Tony Thompson

mel perry

thats a rarity, to find three "old dutch"/
cudahy in the same yard, hooked
together, unless there was a plant
close by?, always wonder if the "old
dutch"/cudahy was a foobie?
;-)
mel perry

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020, 6:18 PM George Courtney via groups.io <gsc3=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
A much younger,  model railroad friend of mine sent me this photos.  They are on Southern Railway in Knoxville.  I didn't see a Monogram on the Southern Boxcar so I suspect before 1937.  He found them in a old grocery store near the area.  At age three I lived in the hill back of the viaduct.    George Courtney.

Douglas Harding

Old Dutch Cleanser was a trademark of the Cudahy company (Cudahy Bros of Wisconsin was a different company). And their meat reefers carried the Old Dutch Cleanser logo. Attached is a photo of a Cudahy reefer taken in Salt Lake City, where they had a plant. Cudahy’s main plant was in south Omaha. They also had plants in Kansas City, Los Angeles, San Diego, Denver, Sioux City, South St Paul, East Chicago, Jersey City. Old Dutch Cleanser Plants were located in Los Angeles, Omaha, and Toronto.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

thats a rarity, to find three "old dutch"/

cudahy in the same yard, hooked

together, unless there was a plant

close by?, always wonder if the "old

dutch"/cudahy was a foobie?

;-)

mel perry

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020, 6:18 PM George Courtney via groups.io <gsc3=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

A much younger,  model railroad friend of mine sent me this photos.  They are on Southern Railway in Knoxville.  I didn't see a Monogram on the Southern Boxcar so I suspect before 1937.  He found them in a old grocery store near the area.  At age three I lived in the hill back of the viaduct.    George Courtney.

mel perry

doug:
thanks for the background, since the
cars have a different scheme, my
question is, dud cudahy ever have a
scheme, that had "old dutch" on one
side of the car, and the."cudahy" on
the other side of the car  i.e. opposite
side, as presented by certain manufactures, or was this a foobie?
thanks
mel perry

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020, 5:48 AM Douglas Harding <iowacentralrr@...> wrote:

[...]

Attachments:

Thomas Evans

So now I'm confused.
There was Cudahy Packing Company of Omaha which also made & sold Old Dutch Cleanser.
There was also Cudahy Brothers which was also a packing company in Cudahy Wis. south of Milwaukee.
Did Cudahy Brothers (Wisconsin) also have their own meat reefers?
Can anyone make all this clear?

Tom E.

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Doug,

Any idea on a date for the Cudahy map you attached?

Thanks

Claus Schlund

[...]

Schuyler Larrabee

In images 2 & 3, is that a woman out there in the yard?  What is she doing there?  This was not a time when women were common in the yards.

Schuyler

thats a rarity, to find three "old dutch"/

cudahy in the same yard, hooked

together, unless there was a plant

close by?, always wonder if the "old

dutch"/cudahy was a foobie?

;-)

mel perry

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020, 6:18 PM George Courtney via groups.io <gsc3=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

A much younger,  model railroad friend of mine sent me this photos.  They are on Southern Railway in Knoxville.  I didn't see a Monogram on the Southern Boxcar so I suspect before 1937.  He found them in a old grocery store near the area.  At age three I lived in the hill back of the viaduct.    George Courtney.

Brent Greer

Especially one that appears to be dressed like a Nun !

Brent

Dr. J. Brent Greer

earlyrail

Are we looking at the same photos?
The only tank car I see is by the oil facility under the viaduct.
And I am not able to see any identification.
Howard Garner

erieblt2

Mr. Harding, where did you get the information as to where the plants were located? Is there a book(now ‘site’) that lists company info? We have source/info books for railroads ie ‘The Official Guide’ . Is there an equivalent for industries? Thank you. Respectfully, Bill S.    PS I had to look up the earlier reference to ‘foobies’!

On Sep 30, 2020, at 6:36 AM, Thomas Evans via groups.io <tomkevans@...> wrote:

So now I'm confused.
There was Cudahy Packing Company of Omaha which also made & sold Old Dutch Cleanser.
There was also Cudahy Brothers which was also a packing company in Cudahy Wis. south of Milwaukee.
Did Cudahy Brothers (Wisconsin) also have their own meat reefers?
Can anyone make all this clear?

Tom E.

O Fenton Wells

I think she was posing for the Cudahy reefer paint jobs.
Just say'in
Fenton

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Schuyler Larrabee

I too would like to know the answer to Bill S,’s question.  There is an excellent modeler in this area, Jim Dufour, who’s modeled the Cheshire branch, thee connecting the B&M main line at South Ashburnham to Keene NH.  Included in his railroad is a model accurately depicting a very modest Feldspar mine.  Jim has waybill records showing that the Feldspar was shipped to a Old Dutch Cleanser plant along the New Haven, IIRC, in the vicinity of Manchester CT.  (I could be entirely wrong on the destination, but I am sure it was in CT.).  Doug’s citing of plants in

Doug Harding’s citing of

Old Dutch Cleanser Plants were located in Los Angeles, Omaha, and Toronto

May well be accurate, but of a later time.  The Old Dutch Cleanser container cites that it was developed in 1886.

Incidentally, I won’t have any other cleanser in the house.  I find the competitors, Comet, Ajax, etc., tend to scratch, whereas the little just hatched chick on the ODC label, with the slogan “Hasn’t scratched yet,” is accurate.  It will clean some egregiously dirty dishes without scratching them (ask me how I know).  I have used it when stripping brass models with an old, soft toothbrush to remove stubborn paint in crevices.  Works well, without any visible damage to the model surface.

Incidentally, while googling (because I could not remember feldspar) I came across the following interesting webpage:

http://www.mine-engineer.com/mining/dutch.htm

Schuyler

Mr. Harding, where did you get the information as to where the plants were located? Is there a book(now ‘site’) that lists company info? We have source/info books for railroads ie ‘The Official Guide’ . Is there an equivalent for industries? Thank you. Respectfully, Bill S.    PS I had to look up the earlier reference to ‘foobies’!

On Sep 30, 2020, at 6:36 AM, Thomas Evans via groups.io <tomkevans@...> wrote:

So now I'm confused.
There was Cudahy Packing Company of Omaha which also made & sold Old Dutch Cleanser.
There was also Cudahy Brothers which was also a packing company in Cudahy Wis. south of Milwaukee.
Did Cudahy Brothers (Wisconsin) also have their own meat reefers?
Can anyone make all this clear?

Tom E.

Bob Chaparro

Old Dutch Cleanser & Cudahy Packing Company

Probably more than you want to know, but a few factoids I've found...

In 1905 the Cudahy Packing Company became the first company to manufacturer and market a cleansing powder, Old Dutch Cleanser.

Cudahy had a pumicite mine in Meade County, Kansas, and had a tie to a company that used pumicite to clean up the floors of the slaughterhouses of Chicago. Pumicite is a variety of pumice, a highly pressurized rock that is formed when lava and water are mixed. Seismotite is a trade name for pumice used by Cudahy and was seen in Old Dutch Cleanser advertising.

Later, Cudahy's pumicite was taken from a mine located underground in the Mojave Desert. Pumicite production began in 1923. The mined rock was trucked to a siding on the Southern Pacific Railroad at Saltdale, seven miles south of the mine. It was delivered to Los Angeles where it was processed and blended with other material to create the cleanser.

Twelve men were employed by Cudahy to oversee the mine and produce 100 tons of pumicite per week. Cudahy Camp was a small company operated camp created to house the miners. Numerous structures were built at the camp, however their uses have not clearly been established.

The mine produced 120,000 tons of pumicite for the company. The mine closed in 1947 because the mineral was discovered at ground level in other locations.

Old Dutch Cleanser was sold by Cudahy to Purex on April 24, 1955.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

John Barry

Doug,

What was the date of the Cudahy map?  They have a spot listed on the 1928 version of the SP San Francisco Industry Map on the State Belt, said industry not listed on the 1944 version.

John

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696

mel perry wrote:

thats a rarity, to find three "old dutch"/
cudahy in the same yard, hooked
together, unless there was a plant
close by?, always wonder if the "old
dutch"/cudahy was a foobie?

     You obviously haven't ever looked at the book on Billboard Reefers by Richard Hendrickson and Ed Kaminski.

Tony Thompson

Schuyler Larrabee

Well, I see crow is on the menu today . . .

I apologize for confusing ODC and Bon Ami.  Bon Ami contains feldspar and doesn’t scratch.  I cannot vouch for the performance of ODC.

The plant I mentioned (later verified as being in Manchester CT) is where Bon Ami is, or was, manufactured.  The can today says “Bon Ami Company, Kansas City MO 64101.”  I do not know where their plants are today.  It also is the can that states “Original 1886 Formula.”

My remarks about using ODC on brass should be that I have used Bon Ami on brass with great success.  I cannot confirm whether ODC is equally harmless.

I hope that this clarifies what I intended to say.

Schuyler

Mr. Harding, where did you get the information as to where the plants were located? Is there a book(now ‘site’) that lists company info? We have source/info books for railroads ie ‘The Official Guide’ . Is there an equivalent for industries? Thank you. Respectfully, Bill S.    PS I had to look up the earlier reference to ‘foobies’!

On Sep 30, 2020, at 6:36 AM, Thomas Evans via groups.io <tomkevans@...> wrote:

So now I'm confused.
There was Cudahy Packing Company of Omaha which also made & sold Old Dutch Cleanser.
There was also Cudahy Brothers which was also a packing company in Cudahy Wis. south of Milwaukee.
Did Cudahy Brothers (Wisconsin) also have their own meat reefers?
Can anyone make all this clear?

Tom E.

earlyrail

My apologies.
My mail reader did not show the first image.
When I when to group.io directly all three tanks showed.

Howard Garner