Topics

Old Santa Fe Flat Cars

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Good friends,

Back in the late 1980s I discovered the remains of the Nelson & Albemarle Railroad, and its owner Alberene Stone Corporation in Schuyler, Virginia (the real-life Walton's Mountain of TV fame). The then-owner let me prowl around his property (yeah, I know liability, but this guy was known to walk around with a primed stick of dynamite sticking out of his shirt pocket).

I discovered that there were three ancient flat cars still in the plant. After the Nelson & Albemarle was abandoned in 1962, a short stretch of track was left intact between the factory and its associated machine shop for moving heavy machinery that might need repair. Three flatcars were retained, along with a small Plymouth locomotive. The locomotive was scrapped around 1967, but the flat cars were still in the weeds when I saw them around 1986 or 1987. I don't know if they are still there. The operation was sold to a Finish company around 1989, and they did some clean-up work on the property. I did mention to the Finish manager that these three cars would be welcome in any railroad museum, but my guess is they were scrapped.

One car was partially identifiable by the stake pockets which had ATSF CM 1921 cast into them. All three were still on arch bar trucks, which suggests they were on the property before WWII.

I have attached two photos of the car with the Santa Fe stake pockets for your commentary and approval. I would be curious to know what class the Santa Fe car was from, though I'm not sure all three were from the same source. They were very hard to inspect and photograph in the brush.

I'm going to head down that way one of these days and will see if by some miracle the cars are still there. Another miracle will be if they let me into the plant.

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆

Charlie Vlk

Garth-

Good find!   I looked on a satellite image but not knowing where to look and the probability that trees would shield them anyway didn’t see any trace of cars.   A winter satellite image might show something.

I wonder if the cars were purchased secondhand or if the BNSF is still looking for them!!!

Charlie Vlk

[...]

Jim Gates

Based on the stake pocket positions and the rivets above the bolster I would say class Ft-G.

Jim Gates

On Friday, February 21, 2020, 03:41:47 PM CST, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...> wrote:

[...]

rwitt_2000

A nice find at the time. Your photos illustrate why a weed wacker should the next thing in ones field pack after the cameras. :-)

Bob Witt

Charles Peck

You spell weed wacker your way, I spell it M-A-C-H-E-T-E.
Never runs out of gas.
Chuck Peck

On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 7:30 PM rwitt_2000 via Groups.Io <rwitt_2000=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
A nice find at the time. Your photos illustrate why a weed wacker should the next thing in ones field pack after the cameras. :-)

Bob Witt

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

I used to pack a swing blade when railfanning.

Thanks!
Brian Ehni
(Sent from my iPhone)

On Feb 21, 2020, at 6:30 PM, rwitt_2000 via Groups.Io <rwitt_2000@...> wrote:

A nice find at the time. Your photos illustrate why a weed wacker should the next thing in ones field pack after the cameras. :-)

Bob Witt

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

I see it’s more properly called a grass whip.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of "BRIAN PAUL EHNI via Groups.Io" <bpehni@...>
Date: Friday, February 21, 2020 at 7:56 PM
To: <main@realstmfc.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Old Santa Fe Flat Cars

I used to pack a swing blade when railfanning.

Thanks!

Brian Ehni

(Sent from my iPhone)

On Feb 21, 2020, at 6:30 PM, rwitt_2000 via Groups.Io <rwitt_2000@...> wrote:

A nice find at the time. Your photos illustrate why a weed wacker should the next thing in ones field pack after the cameras. :-)

Bob Witt

Thomas Evans

I used to pack a Sandvik Brush Axe for clearing photo lines.
They can cut up to ~1" diameter & are (were) used by land surveyors.
I used it only occasionally, so it now resides in my coat closet.

Tom

Tim O'Connor

And here's an Ft-G with a wire wrapped redwood pipe load !!

On 2/21/2020 6:48 PM, Jim Gates via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

Sterling, Massachusetts