Topics

OMI 1930-built double dome tank car

Tony Thompson

Bruce Smith wrote:

 This car may represent a single car with a history that is difficult to trace. If you go back to post #135461, you will get the history of this model. Richard Hendrickson indicated that he had NEVER seen a photo of a GATC 10K insulated two-compartment tank in revenue service.

    Um, no. The prototype photo of this car was indeed provided by Richard to OMI, as were photos of all the cars they did in this run of various tank cars. He did say once that he wasn't entirely thrilled with the ones they picked to model, but he was the source.

Tony Thompson

Bruce Smith

Tony,

I was quoting the man… I can find no subsequent change of that sentiment, and it is clear from Richard’s comments that he was not involved in the design of this car.

Regards
Bruce

Richard Hendrickson
06/22/11

On Jun 22, 2011, at 3:35 PM, spsalso wrote:

The subject of this model last came up, as far as I can find out,
on this list back in '04. I thought I would myself submit it again.
The discussion in '04 was pretty much wrapped up by this comment by
Mr. Hendrickson:

"Ted, the prototype for this model was a car that Tom Marsh found
intact but
out of service in the Chicago area. Its last owner had been a private
shipper (a chemical co., IIRC) which didn't exist during the era
this list
covers, so the car was obviously second-hand. I've never seen a
photo of a
car of this design in revenue service. 10,000 gal. two-compartment
tank
cars were extremely rare, whether insulated or not."

So, 7 years later, I'm wondering if there's any more info on this
car. Or a photo (even if it is post-list).
Edward Sutorik
Ed, Since my '04 message, I've seen no additional information or
photos on an in-service prototype for this model. Sorry!

Richard Hendrickson

Bruce Smith wrote:

I was quoting the man… I can find no subsequent change of that sentiment, and it is clear from Richard’s comments that he was not involved in the design of this car.

     You are right that Richard had nothing to do with model design and was less than happy about what eventually came from OMI.
      At one point he pulled out his prints of all the photos he had sent to OMI. I had a few of those cars, and he had others, which we then looked at. I don't have any doubts of his connection as at least a source of info for OMI.

Tony Thompson

WILLIAM PARDIE

Overland produced many fine pieces of rolling stock many of which I am proud to have in my collection.  Some of their tank cars gave me reason to question them.  They produced a three dome model which years ago I finished as a ULTX car.
I was pleased with the model until several years ago when I purchased a Tangent three dome car.  The Tangent car looked like an N scale model next to the Overland car.  I found some drawings in Mailine Modeler which were smaller than the Overland car.

I also had a problem with their 10,000 gallon car which had a rather large platform on each end of the car.  Searched and searched but none found a prototype photo of this car.  Again Mainline modeler had a drawing that exactly matched the
 Overland car.  Possibly Overland used this drawing in producing the car.

My only other disappointment was a Texas & Pacific caboose which was 6' too short.  This car was replaced with a Hallmark model that was correct.

These disappointments are avery small percentage of the many fine models that they produced.  I recently rounded out my collection with the purchase of an Overland E-1 diesel originally done for the City Of San Francisco.  Overland also produced the version that SP converted to the Daylight scheme with the big number boards. Very pleased with this model.

Bill Pardie

From: Tony Thompson <tony@...>
Date: 11/4/19 1:20 PM (GMT-10:00)

Bruce Smith wrote:

I was quoting the man… I can find no subsequent change of that sentiment, and it is clear from Richard’s comments that he was not involved in the design of this car.

     You are right that Richard had nothing to do with model design and was less than happy about what eventually came from OMI.
      At one point he pulled out his prints of all the photos he had sent to OMI. I had a few of those cars, and he had others, which we then looked at. I don't have any doubts of his connection as at least a source of info for OMI.

Tony Thompson

Sterling, Massachusetts

Jon Miller

On 11/5/2019 9:59 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
I love them because they are among the finest examples of styrene freight car kit
design.

Yes!

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Steve and Barb Hile

We have been away for a few days, so this is a bit late to the party.  But, let me say that the Mainline Modeler UTLX 10,000 gallon tank car drawings seem to match pretty closely to a UTLX drawn general arrangement drawing for cars built in 1930 by UTLX with tanks provided by ACF.  The 10,000 gallon cars were numbered 27146-27324.  For reasons that I can't explain, perhaps related to the tanks being slightly different from the UTLX standard, this batch of X-3 cars had underframes that were 15 inches longer that the UTLX standard X-3 design.

As Tony often says, a few more details are in the UTLX book...

Richard Hendrickson provided a copy of this UTLX drawing to me, and probably to Bob Hundman, as well, as its basic dimensions followed into the MM drawing and then, apparently into the Overland model.

After Richard passed away, I was very glad to purchase his Overland model from his estate.  It has been painted and numbered into the above series, and I am proud to own it.

Steve Hile

I was quoting the man… I can find no subsequent change of that sentiment, and it is clear from Richard’s comments that he was not involved in the design of this car.

     You are right that Richard had nothing to do with model design and was less than happy about what eventually came from OMI.
      At one point he pulled out his prints of all the photos he had sent to OMI. I had a few of those cars, and he had others, which we then looked at. I don't have any doubts of his connection as at least a source of info for OMI.

Tony Thompson

Richard Townsend

Here's a light colored (silver?) one, without any obvious markings:

I was quoting the man… I can find no subsequent change of that sentiment, and it is clear from Richard’s comments that he was not involved in the design of this car.

     You are right that Richard had nothing to do with model design and was less than happy about what eventually came from OMI.
      At one point he pulled out his prints of all the photos he had sent to OMI. I had a few of those cars, and he had others, which we then looked at. I don't have any doubts of his connection as at least a source of info for OMI.

Tony Thompson

Dennis Storzek

On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 09:24 PM, Richard Townsend wrote:
Here's a light colored (silver?) one, without any obvious markings:

It looks like it's captive to the powe plant already. To the left it's coupled to a Plymouth industrial switcher; on the right to an interurban freight motor or other work car. Note the radial drawbar on the interurban.

Dennis Storzek

Tim O'Connor

Good picture. And a bunch more on that web page!!

https://www.lakestatesarchive.org/keyword/tankcar/

On 11/7/2019 12:24 AM, Richard Townsend via Groups.Io wrote:

Here's a light colored (silver?) one, without any obvious markings:

https://www.lakestatesarchive.org/Ed-Wilkommen-Collection/Freight-Cars/i-KVcTQg9/A

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

I was quoting the man… I can find no subsequent change of that sentiment, and it is clear from Richard’s comments that he was not involved in the design of this car.

     You are right that Richard had nothing to do with model design and was less than happy about what eventually came from OMI.
      At one point he pulled out his prints of all the photos he had sent to OMI. I had a few of those cars, and he had others, which we then looked at. I don't have any doubts of his connection as at least a source of info for OMI.

Tony Thompson

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Jack Mullen

I see that the unmarked silver car still has KC brakes, while the Gerritsen photo of NIPX 8 shows it with AB. Since NIPX 8 seems to have the equipment and markings to meet interchange requirements, it's a reasonable conjecture that it isn't/wasn't just in intraplant service, as the silver car obviously is.
I wonder whether the silver car is NIPX8 at an earlier point in time, or one of the other two.
Jack Mullen