Topics

OMI 1930-built GATC 10,000 Gal double dome tank car

pennsylvania1954

Hi Bruce--Not Fred but the reweigh date looks like 7 57.
--
Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

Fred Jansz

Edited

To all interested,

When pictured by H.A. Gerritsen in ca. 1988, NIPX 8 was a 'toxic waste' car serving as such on the NIPCO property, Michigan City, Indiana. Where the other two cars went to after their last appearance in the 1936 ORER, is a mystery, but I guess back into the GATX pool until retirement at some date.
Capy is 10000
LT WT 60800
CH 7-57
Asked Brian Marsh if he could check the archives for the original pics made by Mr. Gerritsen. Would like to see what's on the domes so I can make some decals for them (probably TANK A and tech specs and TANK B and tech specs).

NB: if the car was built in 1930 by GATC and photographed in 1988, it was operating and 'kind of lost' in my year 1950, probably illegally dumping it's toxic waste in the beautiful Feather River on my future layout....
I'm so sorry, but that's how it was in 1950 (on my layout).

cheers, Fred Jansz

PS, also own the single dome version of the OMI GATX 30 10K Gals insulated car.
This one will be painted & lettered for Western Asphalt.

John Barry

Fred,

From the 1936 tank car capacity tariff NIPX 6, 7 & 8 were heater coil equipped two compartment cars with shippers gauge shell/dome capacities as follows:

NIPX 6 A-4951/226, B-4948/226, total-9899/452

NIPX 7 A-4950/226, B-4953/226, total-9903/452

NIPX 8 A-4952/226, B-4949/226, total-9901/452

Multiple compartment domes usually had the compartment ID and shell capacity on the side.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696

PO Box 44736
Washington, DC 20026-4736

On Wednesday, November 6, 2019, 4:38:17 AM EST, Fred Jansz <fred@...> wrote:

To all interested,

When pictured by H.A. Gerritsen in ca. 1988, NIPX 8 was a 'toxic waste' car serving as such on the NIPCO property, Michigan City, Indiana. Where the other two cars went to after their last appearance in the 1936 ORER, is a mystery, but I guess back into the GATX pool until retirement at some date.
Capy is 100000
LT WT 60800
CH 7-57
Asked Brian Marsh if he could check the archives for the original pics made by Mr. Gerritsen. Would like to see what's on the domes so I can make some decals for them (probably TANK A and tech specs and TANK B and tech specs).

NB: if the car was built in 1930 by GATC and photographed in 1988, it was operating and 'kind of lost' in my year 1950, probably illegally dumping it's toxic waste in the beautiful Feather River on my future layout....
I'm so sorry, but that's how it was in 1950 (on my layout).

cheers, Fred Jansz

PS, also own the single dome version of the OMI GATX 30 10K Gals insulated car.
This one will be painted & lettered for Western Asphalt.

Fred Jansz

Great! Thanks, John Barry.
cheers
Fred Jansz

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Uh, Fred,

Since you model the early 1950s, if you want NIPX 8 and want it to be accurate, you might check some ORERs to see when this car (and this reporting mark) went out of service. NIPX does not appear in my 1958 ORER, though the car might have been sold or assigned to some other user by then.

On the subject of twin-dome tank cars, it might be interesting if someone with the research materials compiled a list of such cars. I can only offer what I've seen in published photos, plus NATX 4753 at Steamtown which I saw and photographed. Sinclair had a few 6K cars running as UNPX 100-116 (not sure if they were all twins though). Kanotex ran KOTX 8138, which had a second offset dome, a shop conversion of a single-dome car. SHPX 84 was an 8K tank whose builder's photo is often reproduced. I have seen a photo of a Magnolia AC&F high-walkway twin, though it was too fuzzy to make out the number. There was a photo of 7K GATX 29954 in a Mark Fedderson article, July 1988 MM, on kitbashing a twin from the Tichy "model". Finally, Ed Hawkins had an article in PRC 10 with a mess of ACF type 27 twins, including a complete roster from 1928-1948.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 3:46 PM Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

only exact match afaik

On 11/4/2019 4:32 AM, Fred Jansz wrote:

Gents,
purchased this OMI 1930-built GATC 10,000 Gal double dome tank car recently.
However, I have no info about these cars at all regarding time span and paint schemes.
I model/collect 1950 (the year).
Any help is appreciated.
Thank you, best regards,
Fred Jansz

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Attachments:

Fred Jansz

Hi there Garth!
please do read the whole discussion.
Short: NIPX 6 & 7 were back in the GATX pool, but 1930 built NIPX 8 was pictured by Arnt Gerritsen in 1988, so one might presume it was also among us in 1950.
NIPCo sent the car West to dump the toxic waste in the virgin Feather River.
At least, that's how it was done on my RR in those good old times!
cheerio,
Fred Jansz