Topics

Orange NP Wood Reefers

radiodial868

These factory painted brass W&R Enterprises Northern Pacific Reefers pop up now and then. Was there ever such a orange paint scheme in place of the usual yellowish sides?

Thx,
-------------------
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA

WILLIAM PARDIE

Good Morning RJ:

Yes this was a proper paint scheme.  Bill McKown
 (W&R) did such a great job on his models that for a long time my freight car fleet was disproportionately skewed to cars from the Pacific Northwest ( I am an SP modeler) because I could not say no to his models.  There was very little if anything to improve on.

In the case if the NP refers Bill put out a dara sheet detailing his research on the car color.  He described removing the paint on the side of an actual car revealing the different color layers.  I have this sheet (somewhere) an will forward it if I can out my hands on it.

Bill Pardie

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy s

-------- Original message --------
Date: 10/8/20 5:43 AM (GMT-10:00)
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Orange NP Wood Reefers

These factory painted brass W&R Enterprises Northern Pacific Reefers pop up now and then. Was there ever such a orange paint scheme in place of the usual yellowish sides?

Thx,
-------------------
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA

np328

RJ, I would state that it is within the realm of being accurate. 
I will attach some photos from our NP archives from The William (Bill) Shannon collection donated from his son Harold. 
One of the photos seems to be supersaturated however the image is pretty accurate to the slide. And Willian Shannon was head of the NP motive power. Not prone to goofs.
The other photo is looking back on the helper pushing 2nd 602 east of the Cascades in WA state. 
And of Bill McKown, I would trust his research - absolutely.                                                                                 Jim Dick - St. Paul Archivist / researcher / presenter. 

radiodial868

Thanks guys, that is actually good news.  Reason I am interested is that I fully kitbashed 3 Accurail NP Reefers.  I screwed up one paint job, and in a moment of brainfartness I painted it (#90062) with Reefer Orange. At least it wasn't PFE Daylight Orange!  It does look Orange when next to the original yellow (Yellowstone paint scheme).  End result is it looks much like that reefer string on 602 East.   I'm going to go with that story!  I'll go ahead and finish them up now and post a pic.
-------------------
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA'