Topics

Oriental Models Inc

Schuyler Larrabee

IIRC (debatable) the owner of OMI was T Wenzel.  T was for Tony or Tom, I can’t remember which, though I think Tony.

Does anyone have contact information for him?

Schuyler

Mont Switzer

Schuyler,

Overland Models, Inc. (OMI) was Tom Marsh -  green boxes, Muncie, IN

Oriental Models, Inc. (OMI) was Tony Wenzel – gold boxes, Evansville, IN

Mont

Montford L. Switzer

President

Switzer Tank Lines, Inc.

Fall Creek Leasing, LLC.

mswitzer@...

(765) 836-2914

IIRC (debatable) the owner of OMI was T Wenzel.  T was for Tony or Tom, I can’t remember which, though I think Tony.

Does anyone have contact information for him?

Schuyler

The correct name was “Oriental Limited”

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

IIRC (debatable) the owner of OMI was T Wenzel.  T was for Tony or Tom, I can’t remember which, though I think Tony.

Does anyone have contact information for him?

Schuyler

Schuyler Larrabee

Correct, thanks, Brian

Schuyler

IIRC (debatable) the owner of OMI was T Wenzel.  T was for Tony or Tom, I can’t remember which, though I think Tony.

Does anyone have contact information for him?

Schuyler

Mont Switzer

Brian Ehni is correct.

Montford L. Switzer

President

Switzer Tank Lines, Inc.

Fall Creek Leasing, LLC.

mswitzer@...

(765) 836-2914

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>
Date: Friday, December 18, 2020 at 2:42 PM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

Anthony Wenzel

After Oriental he started a little brass importer called AWE - Anthony Wenzel Enterprises - using stolen plans
from the Shoreham Shops (around the time when Samhongsa let Lionel use someone else's plans which led to
a major lawsuit by MTH that put Sam out of business). AWE did import a nice early welded Pullman box car.

On 12/18/2020 11:30 AM, Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io wrote:

IIRC (debatable) the owner of OMI was T Wenzel.  T was for Tony or Tom, I can’t remember which, though I think Tony.

Does anyone have contact information for him?

Schuyler

Sterling, Massachusetts

vapeurchapelon

Hello friends,

Northernscalemodels has a bunch of those PS-0 box cars from AWE and sells them VERY cheaply (for a brass car):

https://www.northernscale.com/WebListFreight.html

(I have one, too, but of course there is some work necessary. Better trucks, and the doors are poorly done, unfortunately.)

BTW, the abbreviation "OMI" never was used in connection with ORIENTAL LIMITED but ALWAYS with OVERLAND MODELS.

Many greetings

Johannes

Gesendet: Freitag, 18. Dezember 2020 um 21:42 Uhr
Von: "Tim O'Connor" <timboconnor@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Betreff: Re: [RealSTMFC] Oriental Models Inc

Anthony Wenzel

After Oriental he started a little brass importer called AWE - Anthony Wenzel Enterprises - using stolen plans
from the Shoreham Shops (around the time when Samhongsa let Lionel use someone else's plans which led to
a major lawsuit by MTH that put Sam out of business). AWE did import a nice early welded Pullman box car.

On 12/18/2020 11:30 AM, Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io wrote:

IIRC (debatable) the owner of OMI was T Wenzel.  T was for Tony or Tom, I can’t remember which, though I think Tony.

Does anyone have contact information for him?

Schuyler

Sterling, Massachusetts

Andy Carlson

I have a memory which is a bit different than yours.

Some importer had a batch of passenger cars made and the builder built the industry labeled"over runs" which were extra cars beyond the ordered numbers. After several years, these cars were offered to Tony and he bought them for an attractive price. I bought a few different cars for $60 each back then. Cars were nice and featured cast trucks and not the coined crap which a lot of the Japanese built passenger cars came equipped with. Over runs were a common practice is these earlier days, and the Train Shop in Santa Clara (San Jose), CA. sold many brass items which were boxed in TS boxes and labeled thusly. I did not know that Samhongsa left business from a suffered fatal law suit. I thought he simply wanted to retire. There were so many "sons of Samhongsa" Korean builders at the time. Markets are in a state of flux all the time.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

On Friday, December 18, 2020, 12:42:56 PM PST, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Anthony Wenzel

After Oriental he started a little brass importer called AWE - Anthony Wenzel Enterprises - using stolen plans
from the Shoreham Shops (around the time when Samhongsa let Lionel use someone else's plans which led to
a major lawsuit by MTH that put Sam out of business). AWE did import a nice early welded Pullman box car.

On 12/18/2020 11:30 AM, Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io wrote:

IIRC (debatable) the owner of OMI was T Wenzel.  T was for Tony or Tom, I can’t remember which, though I think Tony.

_._,_._,_

Mont Switzer

Andy and all,

This reminds me of Overland Models venture into Monon Steam.  They ran 3 variations of the Monon's 4-6-2's at the same time.  It was over a $1,000 to acquire all three.  I think some guys didn't buy one because they could not get all 3.  They therefore didn't sell well and there was a surplus.

Some of the surplus were sold to a dealer "out east."   If you are from Indiana "out east" is defined an anywhere east of Ohio.

Overland had a method of disposing of overruns and defective models.

1.    clobber each one with a hammer

2.    dumpster

I friend of mind had what looked like a half a refrigerator box full of the hammer stricken models.  He occasionally unsoldered various pieces and parts that he needed or wanted for projects.

Long time brass collector Tom Marsh who started and ran Overland Models as an astute business man, whether we hobbyist's liked it or not.

Mont Switzer

Mont Switzer

[...]

Jared Harper

What is a stute?

Jared Harper

Mont Switzer

Jared,

a and stute when combined is astute.  He was a good business man.

Mont

[...]

Tony Thompson

Mont Switzer wrote:

Some of the surplus were sold to a dealer "out east."   If you are from Indiana "out east" is defined an anywhere east of Ohio.

     Ah, yes. When I was a kid in Southern California, a classmate in elementary school was moving away, going "back east." Her family was relocating to Denver.

Tony Thompson

Tom Madden

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 12:20 PM, Tony Thompson wrote:
Mont Switzer wrote:
Some of the surplus were sold to a dealer "out east."   If you are from Indiana "out east" is defined an anywhere east of Ohio.
     Ah, yes. When I was a kid in Southern California, a classmate in elementary school was moving away, going "back east." Her family was relocating to Denver.
Works both ways. When Gail and I lived in New Jersey and were driving to Colorado for our two week vacations, a co-worker told me that his family was going to be vacationing "out west" too. When I asked where, he said Rockford, Illinois.

Tom Madden

Tim O'Connor

I think Armand of The Caboose bought out Oriental's surplus. One year in the late 1990's at the Springfield show
in Massachusetts he had a HUGE display of brass "stuff". I bought a beautiful small Great Northern steam tender
(without trucks or underframe) for $5 - I thought it might make a nice industrial oil tank. And I bought two Lehigh
Valley well flat cars (they were imported by Overland but evidently there were extras) for $40 each - no boxes but
the cars were complete. I could have spent the whole day looking through the massive pile of stuff he had, but if you
have been to Springfield you know you can't stay in just one spot. :-D

Albert Ichelson of Challenger bought out the last of Oriental's model imports and those were the first offerings from
Challenger - and the last diesels Challenger would sell for quite a while.

On 12/18/2020 8:45 PM, Andy Carlson wrote:
[...]

Charlie Vlk

Tony should be credited with being responsible for the creation of Broadway Limited Imports as well.

Together with a Korean builder and QSI, he was behind the New York Central J3a and N&W Class A which were the first BLI locomotives.

I don’t know all the details and it isn’t appropriate to go further with the particulars of the changes in leadership in which he separated from the company but he should be credited with morphing the old “Powerhouse” line of Korean production diecast steam locomotives into the factory sound equipped locomotives and freight cars we have today  (can’t forget the PRR K7A stock car with cow, pig, chicken, mule sound effects!!!)

Charlie Vlk

Mont Switzer

Charlie,

I cannot forget the PRR K7A with sound either.  Beautiful model but the sound in the damned thing drives me nuts.

Mont

Tony should be credited with being responsible for the creation of Broadway Limited Imports as well.

Together with a Korean builder and QSI, he was behind the New York Central J3a and N&W Class A which were the first BLI locomotives.

I don’t know all the details and it isn’t appropriate to go further with the particulars of the changes in leadership in which he separated from the company but he should be credited with morphing the old “Powerhouse” line of Korean production diecast steam locomotives into the factory sound equipped locomotives and freight cars we have today  (can’t forget the PRR K7A stock car with cow, pig, chicken, mule sound effects!!!)

Charlie Vlk

Bruce Smith

Now, before we rag on BLI too much, I have to point out that the sound equipped K7a came out  (and BLI gave me on as a thank-you for working on the project with them) when my child and the 3 other children who hung out at our house Friday evenings (in the company of their parents) were all around 5-7 years of age. THEY couldn't get enough of that damned car! So I'm inclined to look at it as an "entry level drug" much like the stupid smoke units which the kids also loved.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

I cannot forget the PRR K7A with sound either.  Beautiful model but the sound in the damned thing drives me nuts.

Mont

Tony should be credited with being responsible for the creation of Broadway Limited Imports as well.

Together with a Korean builder and QSI, he was behind the New York Central J3a and N&W Class A which were the first BLI locomotives.

I don’t know all the details and it isn’t appropriate to go further with the particulars of the changes in leadership in which he separated from the company but he should be credited with morphing the old “Powerhouse” line of Korean production diecast steam locomotives into the factory sound equipped locomotives and freight cars we have today  (can’t forget the PRR K7A stock car with cow, pig, chicken, mule sound effects!!!)

Charlie Vlk

Bud Rindfleisch

I also thought that Mike Wolf worked for Lionel at the time those drawings were made. He left and started MTH and to my way of thinking should have put a lock on those drawings strictly for MTH use, but since they were there when he worked for Lionel, I think it was pretty low for him to sue the bigger Lionel Corp. Just my opinion, right or wrong.
     Bud Rindfleisch