Topics

P2K Tank Cars

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

Group,
Just got bit by the P2K dating bug with a batch of 10K tanks I just
bought. This means the impossibility of telling what tanks you have without
unpacking the cars. Anyway the group of COSX I got are dated 5-46 and have
a big D-X on them. It's easy to change the 5-46 but if it's wrong (for '41)
to get rid of a large white D-X on one side. So my question is, can I live
with that big white D-X in '41 or must I remove it? For that matter is the
rest of the lettering OK or must the cars go?

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
Digitrax DCC owner, Chief system
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Richard Hendrickson

Group,
Just got bit by the P2K dating bug with a batch of 10K tanks I just
bought. This means the impossibility of telling what tanks you have without
unpacking the cars. Anyway the group of COSX I got are dated 5-46 and have
a big D-X on them. It's easy to change the 5-46 but if it's wrong (for '41)
to get rid of a large white D-X on one side. So my question is, can I live
with that big white D-X in '41 or must I remove it? For that matter is the
rest of the lettering OK or must the cars go?
Not to worry, Jon, I did the research on the lettering for those cars and
the billboard DX was current in 1941, so all you have to do is change the
reweigh dates. However, the date of 5-46 was chosen because we had a
prototype photo that showed a car with AB brakes, and it's likely that in
1941 most of the DX cars still had KC brakes (this assumption is supported
by photos in the Library of Congress archives which show COSX cars in Tulsa
during the war; where the brake equipment is visible, it's KC type).

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

Thanks Richard,
Easy to change the date and add KC brakes. I think either Tichy and/or
CalScale still have the KC brakes.

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
Digitrax DCC owner, Chief system
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

Richard,
One more question on the COSX D-X billboard cars. In my time frame with
the KC brakes would they still have archbar trucks?
Also are those LOC photos accessible by internet?

Jon Miller wrote:

Richard,
One more question on the COSX D-X billboard cars. In my time frame with
the KC brakes would they still have archbar trucks?
No, as the (twice delayed) deadline prohibiting arch bars in interchange
took effect in mid-1941. Anyway, the prototype cars were delivered with
ARA cast steel trucks with spring planks and would certainly have retained
those trucks through 1941 (in fact, probably until the cars wre retired).
The closest HO scale truck is the Accurail "Bettendorf" truck.

Also are those LOC photos accessible by internet?
Yes, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Perhaps someone else on the list
can tell you.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520