Topics

P&LE USRA rebuild

Brian Carlson

It’s. Finally. Finished.
Probably my longest semi continuous build is finally done. I’ve posted about this before.

The never-ending model build - P&LE Rebuild
• Tichy kit originally purchased 15-18 years ago at Niagara Central Hobbies in
St. Catherines Ontario for $9.99 Canadian on clearance. (~2000-2003)
• Started the build shortly after Ted Culotta’s Essential Freight Cars article on these cars in the September 2004 RMC
• Order the P&LEHS magazine that had an article on these cars
• Broke/lost crossbearers during the build, replaced with similar evergreen
channel
• Didn’t like that there was no rivet detail on the sides of the ends. Ted harvested rivets for this, I tried but found it very tedious and difficult for me
to get a straight line.
• Kitbashed/modified the doors per the article, was never happy with them.
o Put the kit aside for the first time. (mid 2000’s)
• Archer surface decals released, Yeah! solved the rivet issue. (2014 ish)
• Order Speedwitch resin doors for the car. Misplaced the doors “someplace”on the workbench, never found.
o Put kit aside again (2014 ish)
• Speedwitch Media restocks resin doors for this car, order them again 2017-2018
• Pry off my first doors and clean up the body, install Speedwitch doors.
March 2018
• Install coupler lift bars and air hose brackets. April 2018
• Install shop trucks to bring the naked model to NERPM 18 because the Accurail Andrews trucks have disappeared, or more likely were installed on another project.
• Pack naked model for NERPM 5/30/18
Future… Prime and paint model, Letter with Speedwitch decals summer 18… I hope, but now that I look at the stirrup steps I may replace them
too….Maybe.

Well, paint and decaling finally happened in 2020, (Lt wt settled slightly, ugh) and I did replace the stirrups. Andrew’s trucks were purchased in November, I think. Bought a dozen so I have some for future work.

I’m sure I am not the only one with a project like this.
*Route cards still need to be added. I need to read Tony’s blogs again. All my cars are missing them.

Brian J. Carlson

Paul Doggett

Brian

That looks really good.
Paul Doggett. England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 3 Jan 2021, at 03:14, Brian Carlson via groups.io <prrk41361=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Attachments:
image0.jpeg: https://RealSTMFC.groups.io/g/main/attachment/180671/0

al_brown03

Nice car!

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

gtws00

That a great looking car!
Your attention to details shows
George Toman
Willow Springs, IL

O Fenton Wells

Brian some things are worth the effort. Well done
Fenton

On Jan 2, 2021, at 10:14 PM, Brian Carlson via groups.io <prrk41361=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

<image0.jpeg>

Robert Allan

Edited

Thanks for posting notes on your journey, which seems to end well. Would you show details on the end rivet add?

I finished a straight up Tichy kit earlier this year, but have the Speedwitch doors to repeat and improve (hopefully) my effort.

One thing I am still not sure if I screwed up is the side ladders. Tichy really doesn't describe how far to locate the ladders from the end and of course remind you that they are at the same elevation as the end rungs. Beginners luck on the elevation anyway.

Bob Allan
Omaha

Dave Lawler

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Wow! That’s real devotion. Nice model Brian.

Dave Lawler

mopacfirst

I built one as-is, sometime in the early 2000s.  At the time, I was happy to have a distinctive car that went together in slightly less time than an early Sunshine.  It's somewhere in one of the twenty car carriers that my freight cars now live in, awaiting transfer to the new railroad.  But clearly I missed something.  I'm sure I used the decals in the kit, too.

But, on the positive side, I too am fishing out cars that I set aside for some reason, or maybe for no reason, to at last get them finished and on the railroad.  Those are mostly Sunshine (note reference above).  I have a couple that I'm contemplating removing the roofs from, in one case because it's actually the wrong roof (T&P box) and in other cases the roof was not well done, sometimes because I didn't get it aligned right, and in one case because there is a much better one (C&NW, subject of a Shake-n-Take from a few years ago).

I thought about attacking the roof with a Dremel saw, as being less injurious to the car body than some kind of chemical attack on the cyanoacrylate cement.  If anybody has done this, I'd be interested to hear results.

Ron Merrick

O Fenton Wells

Ron, I built a SR (Sunshine) box early on and thought I had done a good job.  Then I saw the same car built by Craig Zini and realized that I had not applied the roof correctly.  The kit is no longer available but I disassembled it anyway with ACC debonder, some parts came loose some broke but I persevered and rebuilt, painted and decaled it..  I have attached a photo.
A few years later I built the second version of the car for the Shake 'N Take at Cocoa (Sunshine did not do this version) . The earlier version could have been built the same way.
My point is go for it and you can recover or if not find another way to accomplish your goal, and you will learn alot along the way.
First photo ids the rebuilt Sunshine car SR @272123
Second photo is the later version of the same car SR #272522 kitbashed from an IM kit for the  Shake 'N Take at Cocoa
Keep on building
Fenton

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Clark Propst

>One thing I am still not sure if I screwed up is the side ladders. Tichy really doesn't describe how far to locate the ladders from the end and of course remind you that they are at the same elevation as the end rungs. Beginners luck on the elevation anyway Bob Allan<

There’s a jig in the kit for drilling the side grabs.

I have a Tichy build I’d like to sell. Speedwitch decals and doors. I will replace the couplers with KD #5s with trip pin. Need to reduce my box car fleet…Please submit offers to Cepropst@q.com Sale ends Tuesday. Thanks!

Clark Propst

Eric Hansmann

Ron,

Pop that model into a Ziplock plastic bag and set it in your freezer overnight. That should weaken the CA bonds so you can remove detail. Of course, it will weaken all CA bonds but it's a step to consider.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On 01/03/2021 7:12 AM mopacfirst <ron.merrick@...> wrote:

[...]

Hmmm. So it seems like you are telling us this is all Ted's fault your model took this long to complete. <wink>

Good job, Brian! Your model looks very nice. Much better than the two unbuilt kits of these in my stash, which I should probably sell.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On 01/02/2021 8:14 PM Brian Carlson via groups.io <prrk41361@...> wrote:

[...]

I made a mistake writing my email address it’s cepropst@q’com

Clark Propst

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Bob Chapman

Brian --

Once again, proving that persistence pays! Modeling looks great, and definitely a good start for a Happy New Year.

Bob Chapman

Rich C

Great looking build, Brian. Your work motivates me to get mine started. Mine has been sitting for a long period too.

Rich Christie

Lester Breuer

Fine build Worth the long haul to get there.
Lester Breuer