From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Ray Carson via groups.io <PrewarUPModeler@...>
Sent: Friday, November 27, 2020 11:19 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Pacific Fruit Express Data Boxes

Hey everyone,

I looked at photos of various PFE reefers from the mid 1930s and onward which contain these boxes with lettering in them. What information is put into these boxes and why do they change from the upper box to the lower box?

I unfortunately don't have the Pacific Fruit Express Second Edition book which would answer my question which is why I asked.

Thanks, Ray

Tony Thompson

William Reed wrote:

Not sure if this was answered or not but it looks like repack dates for the journals. Don't know if the upper and lower box had separate significance or not. I can barely make out the wording on one of your photos and it appears to say RPKD which would stand for "Repacked".  This was usually accompanied by a date and location of where that service took place. Hope this helps.

    William is right, beat me to it. There are two boxes but they were used in sequence,, oldest one replaced with every repack.

Tony Thompson

Bob Chaparro

On Fri, Nov 27, 2020 at 08:19 PM, Ray Carson wrote:
I looked at photos of various PFE reefers from the mid 1930s and onward which contain these boxes with lettering in them. What information is put into these boxes and why do they change from the upper box to the lower box?
When did PFE cease this practice? I've seen one PFE ice bunker reefer with this stenciling into the era of the U-1 yellow dot/white dot inspection stencil, which began in 1978.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Mark Vinski

"William is right, beat me to it. There are two boxes but they were used in sequence,, oldest one replaced with every repack"
Tony Thompson

So does that mean that there are two repacking data sets present on the car after the initial one? Or do they paint out the old set and then have a place to stencil the new set without having to wait for the paint to dry? That seems to be what the center picture shows.

Mark Vinski

Tony Thompson

Mark Vinski wrote:

"William is right, beat me to it. There are two boxes but they were used in sequence,, oldest one replaced with every repack"
Tony Thompson

So does that mean that there are two repacking data sets present on the car after the initial one? Or do they paint out the old set and then have a place to stencil the new set without having to wait for the paint to dry? That seems to be what the center picture shows.

    I hadn't thought about it this way, but I think Mark is right about the intention; however, almost every photo I have of cars in service shows only the top box in use. The second box was intended as a convenience, according to my interviews with retired PFE people, but perhaps most workers doing such a stencil were used to making a paint patch, then stencil, and thus continued to use the upper box only.

Tony Thompson

Dick Harley

Those Repack stencil rectangles are also discussed in the SPH&TS book on painting & lettering SP and PFE freight cars (page 127).  The drawing for the stencil was issued in March 1938.  I have never noticed a stencil with data in both rectangles.  A different stencil was used for Relube of roller bearings, but that's beyond the era of this list, as are Consolidated Stencils.

The book is available, and on sale at the moment, from:
https://sphts.myshopify.com/collections/books/products/southern-pacific-freight-car-painting-and-lettering-guide
Get it before they are gone.

Cheers,
Dick Harley
Laguna Beach,  CA

Tony Thompson

Dick Harley wrote:

Those Repack stencil rectangles are also discussed in the SPH&TS book on painting & lettering SP and PFE freight cars (page 127).  The drawing for the stencil was issued in March 1938.  I have never noticed a stencil with data in both rectangles.

     I don't have a photo of both rectangles in use, but I do have a photo of the lower rectangle in use (below). I don't know the photographer; my friend Clark Bauer sent me this photo.
     Note also that a clerk has tacked some cards in the same area!

Tony Thompson