Topics

Paint Booth

Jim Hayes

It depends. I use only Vallejo and I found a nice one on Ebay that folds up into a small case. With Vallejo I can use it indoors with only an open window behind it. I'm not a heavy user and it serves my needs well. I'm not near it so I can't tell you the brand but it was well under $100.

JimH

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 7:32 PM Dan <baltimoret4a5661@...> wrote:
Looking to purchase a new painting booth.  Any recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks,

Dan

Tim O'Connor

I bought a galvanized metal fold-out booth with a squirrel cage blower many years ago - I think it
was made by Paasche but I don't recall exactly who made it. It's large enough for most everything
I can think of. Getting enough light into the booth is important but now with tiny cheap LED lamps
that's not an issue. Squirrel cage fans are the best for moving lots of air.

On 6/2/2020 10:32 PM, Dan wrote:
Looking to purchase a new painting booth.  Any recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks,

Dan

Sterling, Massachusetts

Nelson Moyer

I use a Paasche paint booth that’s 22 in. wide and 18 in. tall at the face. That’s a little small for painting with a rattle can (larger spray pattern and makes a mess in the paint booth), but I use an airbrush for most painting, so it’s not a problem. MR published plans for building a paint booth that’s larger than mine in the August 1983 issue, if you want to build your own.

Nelson Moyer

Todd Sullivan

I built my own probably 30 years ago using 1/8" hardboard for the bottom, sides and back, with triangular cross section molding where the panels joined.  I added a vertical slot at the back for a standard size furnace filter, and made the top from Lexan clear sheet to allow light in.  The inside is painted white, which I protect with clear food wrap.  I used two surplus computer cooling fans with inductive motors (no sparking) at the back to pull the air out and through the filter.  Probably a squirrel cage fan would be more effective.  The waste air was ducted out a window using dryer vent components.  The face opening is probably 28"w by 16" high.

Todd Sullivan

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

My brother owns a sheet metal fabrication company. I gave him the plans that ran in Model Railroader, and he welded one up for me.

Thanks!
Brian Ehni
(Sent from my iPhone)

On Jun 3, 2020, at 2:27 PM, Todd Sullivan via groups.io <sullivant41@...> wrote:

I built my own probably 30 years ago using 1/8" hardboard for the bottom, sides and back, with triangular cross section molding where the panels joined.  I added a vertical slot at the back for a standard size furnace filter, and made the top from Lexan clear sheet to allow light in.  The inside is painted white, which I protect with clear food wrap.  I used two surplus computer cooling fans with inductive motors (no sparking) at the back to pull the air out and through the filter.  Probably a squirrel cage fan would be more effective.  The waste air was ducted out a window using dryer vent components.  The face opening is probably 28"w by 16" high.

Todd Sullivan

Bruce Smith

We've been over this before, but "sparkles" fans are NOT needed for a paint booth. The concentration of flammable agent is never high enough. Just get the highest capacity bathroom or kitchen vent fans you can find.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

I built my own probably 30 years ago using 1/8" hardboard for the bottom, sides and back, with triangular cross section molding where the panels joined.  I added a vertical slot at the back for a standard size furnace filter, and made the top from Lexan clear sheet to allow light in.  The inside is painted white, which I protect with clear food wrap.  I used two surplus computer cooling fans with inductive motors (no sparking) at the back to pull the air out and through the filter.  Probably a squirrel cage fan would be more effective.  The waste air was ducted out a window using dryer vent components.  The face opening is probably 28"w by 16" high.

Todd Sullivan

Bruce Smith

SPARKLESS....effing autocorrect!

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of "BRIAN PAUL EHNI via groups.io" <bpehni@...>
Date: Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 3:40 PM
To: <main@realstmfc.groups.io>

I used pre-made 6” air conditioning duct parts.

Thanks!

Brian Ehni

(Sent from my iPhone)

On Jun 3, 2020, at 2:57 PM, Curt Fortenberry <curtfortenberry@...> wrote:

The MR plan does have a slight technical issue.  The arrangement of the ducts is actually counter to the way you'd do it for airflow.  I ended going to a sheet metal shop and had a correct transition piece made for the fan mount to the ductwork.

Curt Fortenberry

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

BTW, I have scanned the January 1988 MR pages showing their paint booth. If you read the article, you’ll see why I used 6” ducting; the 5” fittings they fabricated constricted air flow.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of "BRIAN PAUL EHNI via groups.io" <bpehni@...>
Date: Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 3:40 PM
To: <main@realstmfc.groups.io>

I used pre-made 6” air conditioning duct parts.

Thanks!

Brian Ehni

(Sent from my iPhone)

On Jun 3, 2020, at 2:57 PM, Curt Fortenberry <curtfortenberry@...> wrote:

The MR plan does have a slight technical issue.  The arrangement of the ducts is actually counter to the way you'd do it for airflow.  I ended going to a sheet metal shop and had a correct transition piece made for the fan mount to the ductwork.

Curt Fortenberry

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Martin,

True.  The gent who owned my LHS was also a model builder and had one in his shop/workshop.  It was very nice indeed and I’ve looking for one since NCE ceased selling them.  So good hunting, and if anyone does find one in need of a home, I’m still very interested,

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

I built my own probably 30 years ago using 1/8" hardboard for the bottom, sides and back, with triangular cross section molding where the panels joined.  I added a vertical slot at the back for a standard size furnace filter, and made the top from Lexan clear sheet to allow light in.  The inside is painted white, which I protect with clear food wrap.  I used two surplus computer cooling fans with inductive motors (no sparking) at the back to pull the air out and through the filter.  Probably a squirrel cage fan would be more effective.  The waste air was ducted out a window using dryer vent components.  The face opening is probably 28"w by 16" high.

Todd Sullivan

Andy Carlson

The gentleman who offered the NCE paint booth toyed years ago to have another batch made up, but he was deeply involved working in California at the time and upon his return to PA. he made a life changing move to Thailand, where he is happily enjoying Asian food and photography. He has zero interest in making them available again. Oh well...-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

True.  The gent who owned my LHS was also a model builder and had one in his shop/workshop.  It was very nice indeed and I’ve looking for one since NCE ceased selling them.  So good hunting, and if anyone does find one in need of a home, I’m still very interested,

Pax,

Ralph Brown

On June 3, 2020 at 3:53 PM Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

SPARKLESS....effing autocorrect!

Hi: many years ago NCE made a very nice large paint booth to be vented outside. Maybe you could find a used one. They also made a sand blaster booth, but I missed that. Marty Cooper

_._,_._,_

Bob Miller

I bought one from North Coast Hobbies (not North Coast Engineering)  in McKees Rocks, PA nearly 20 years ago and it still works just fine. It is ducted to the outside with metal ductwork – not dryer ducting.

The unit is well built. The only repair I’ve had to make was to replace the tube in the light. I went from fluorescent to LED and my eyes really appreciate it.