Topics

Paint Booth

Jim Hayes

It depends. I use only Vallejo and I found a nice one on Ebay that folds up into a small case. With Vallejo I can use it indoors with only an open window behind it. I'm not a heavy user and it serves my needs well. I'm not near it so I can't tell you the brand but it was well under $100.

JimH

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 7:32 PM Dan <baltimoret4a5661@...> wrote:
Looking to purchase a new painting booth.  Any recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks,

Dan

Tim O'Connor

I bought a galvanized metal fold-out booth with a squirrel cage blower many years ago - I think it
was made by Paasche but I don't recall exactly who made it. It's large enough for most everything
I can think of. Getting enough light into the booth is important but now with tiny cheap LED lamps
that's not an issue. Squirrel cage fans are the best for moving lots of air.

On 6/2/2020 10:32 PM, Dan wrote:
Looking to purchase a new painting booth.  Any recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks,

Dan

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Nelson Moyer

I use a Paasche paint booth that’s 22 in. wide and 18 in. tall at the face. That’s a little small for painting with a rattle can (larger spray pattern and makes a mess in the paint booth), but I use an airbrush for most painting, so it’s not a problem. MR published plans for building a paint booth that’s larger than mine in the August 1983 issue, if you want to build your own.

Nelson Moyer

Todd Sullivan

I built my own probably 30 years ago using 1/8" hardboard for the bottom, sides and back, with triangular cross section molding where the panels joined.  I added a vertical slot at the back for a standard size furnace filter, and made the top from Lexan clear sheet to allow light in.  The inside is painted white, which I protect with clear food wrap.  I used two surplus computer cooling fans with inductive motors (no sparking) at the back to pull the air out and through the filter.  Probably a squirrel cage fan would be more effective.  The waste air was ducted out a window using dryer vent components.  The face opening is probably 28"w by 16" high.

Todd Sullivan

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

My brother owns a sheet metal fabrication company. I gave him the plans that ran in Model Railroader, and he welded one up for me. 

Thanks!
Brian Ehni 
(Sent from my iPhone)

On Jun 3, 2020, at 2:27 PM, Todd Sullivan via groups.io <sullivant41@...> wrote:

I built my own probably 30 years ago using 1/8" hardboard for the bottom, sides and back, with triangular cross section molding where the panels joined.  I added a vertical slot at the back for a standard size furnace filter, and made the top from Lexan clear sheet to allow light in.  The inside is painted white, which I protect with clear food wrap.  I used two surplus computer cooling fans with inductive motors (no sparking) at the back to pull the air out and through the filter.  Probably a squirrel cage fan would be more effective.  The waste air was ducted out a window using dryer vent components.  The face opening is probably 28"w by 16" high.

Todd Sullivan

Bruce Smith

We've been over this before, but "sparkles" fans are NOT needed for a paint booth. The concentration of flammable agent is never high enough. Just get the highest capacity bathroom or kitchen vent fans you can find.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Todd Sullivan via groups.io <sullivant41@...>
Sent: Wednesday, June 3, 2020 2:27 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Paint Booth

Todd Sullivan

Bruce Smith

SPARKLESS....effing autocorrect!

Sent: Wednesday, June 3, 2020 2:52 PM

We've been over this before, but "sparkles" fans are NOT needed for a paint booth. The concentration of flammable agent is never high enough. Just get the highest capacity bathroom or kitchen vent fans you can find.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Todd Sullivan via groups.io <sullivant41@...>

Todd Sullivan

Todd Sullivan

Bruce  -  Got it!

I did not know that about the fans, and that will simplify my search for a replacement.  Thanks!

Todd Sullivan

Curt Fortenberry

The MR plan does have a slight technical issue.  The arrangement of the ducts is actually counter to the way you'd do it for airflow.  I ended going to a sheet metal shop and had a correct transition piece made for the fan mount to the ductwork.

Curt Fortenberry

gastro42000

On June 3, 2020 at 3:53 PM Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

Hi: many years ago NCE made a very nice large paint booth to be vented outside. Maybe you could find a used one. They also made a sand blaster booth, but I missed that. Marty Cooper 

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Todd Sullivan

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

I used pre-made 6” air conditioning duct parts. 

Thanks!
Brian Ehni 
(Sent from my iPhone)

On Jun 3, 2020, at 2:57 PM, Curt Fortenberry <curtfortenberry@...> wrote:

The MR plan does have a slight technical issue.  The arrangement of the ducts is actually counter to the way you'd do it for airflow.  I ended going to a sheet metal shop and had a correct transition piece made for the fan mount to the ductwork.

Curt Fortenberry

Bruce Griffin

--

Bruce D. Griffin
Ashland, MD
https://bomodeling.com/blog/

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

Photos of my use of A/C ducting. The register duct mounted to the garage door has two dryer flapper duct to keep insects out.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of "BRIAN PAUL EHNI via groups.io" <bpehni@...>
Reply-To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Date: Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 3:40 PM
To: <main@realstmfc.groups.io>

Thanks!

Brian Ehni 

(Sent from my iPhone)

Curt Fortenberry

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

BTW, I have scanned the January 1988 MR pages showing their paint booth. If you read the article, you’ll see why I used 6” ducting; the 5” fittings they fabricated constricted air flow.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of "BRIAN PAUL EHNI via groups.io" <bpehni@...>
Date: Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 6:47 PM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

Photos of my use of A/C ducting. The register duct mounted to the garage door has two dryer flapper duct to keep insects out.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

Date: Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 3:40 PM
To: <main@realstmfc.groups.io>

Thanks!

Brian Ehni 

(Sent from my iPhone)

Curt Fortenberry

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Martin,

True.  The gent who owned my LHS was also a model builder and had one in his shop/workshop.  It was very nice indeed and I’ve looking for one since NCE ceased selling them.  So good hunting, and if anyone does find one in need of a home, I’m still very interested,

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

Sent: Wednesday, June 3, 2020 4:33 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io ; Bruce Smith

Hi: many years ago NCE made a very nice large paint booth to be vented outside. Maybe you could find a used one. They also made a sand blaster booth, but I missed that. Marty Cooper 

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Todd Sullivan

Andy Carlson

The gentleman who offered the NCE paint booth toyed years ago to have another batch made up, but he was deeply involved working in California at the time and upon his return to PA. he made a life changing move to Thailand, where he is happily enjoying Asian food and photography. He has zero interest in making them available again. Oh well...-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

True.  The gent who owned my LHS was also a model builder and had one in his shop/workshop.  It was very nice indeed and I’ve looking for one since NCE ceased selling them.  So good hunting, and if anyone does find one in need of a home, I’m still very interested,

Pax,

Ralph Brown

>

_._,_._,_

Bob Miller

I bought one from North Coast Hobbies (not North Coast Engineering)  in McKees Rocks, PA nearly 20 years ago and it still works just fine. It is ducted to the outside with metal ductwork – not dryer ducting.

The unit is well built. The only repair I’ve had to make was to replace the tube in the light. I went from fluorescent to LED and my eyes really appreciate it.

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dan
Sent: Tuesday, June 2, 2020 10:33 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Paint Booth

Thanks,

Dan

Schuyler Larrabee

The attached photo is of a paint booth I built about 20+ years ago.  It’s essentially a 24”cube made with ½” plywood (single 4x8 sheet) with a squirrel cage mounted on the back, drawing air through a 10x20 furnace filter.  The fan draws out all the fumes from Scalecoat 1 (my preferred paint) and, back in the day, Floquil.  The filter doesn’t do much for paint (it IS minimally effective as when I replaced it after about 10-12 years, it did have some discoloration) but is much more effective when I use my air eraser in the booth.  It has a fluorescent light inside the top but I have two Luxo adjustable lamps either side of the booth.  The fluorescent will be replaced by LEDs sometime soon.

The flex duct will be replaced with pipe when I move sometime in the next year or so.

I built this at my model railroad club, and when I went to put it in my Honda hatchback . . . . um . . . no go, no way.  Fortunately, a good friend was there with his pickup truck, and he didn’t rub it in too much, just drove it back to my house.  😊

The point is that it’s not hard to make a good booth yourself . . .

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bob Miller
Sent: Thursday, June 04, 2020 8:00 AM

I bought one from North Coast Hobbies (not North Coast Engineering)  in McKees Rocks, PA nearly 20 years ago and it still works just fine. It is ducted to the outside with metal ductwork – not dryer ducting.

The unit is well built. The only repair I’ve had to make was to replace the tube in the light. I went from fluorescent to LED and my eyes really appreciate it.

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dan
Sent: Tuesday, June 2, 2020 10:33 PM
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Paint Booth

Thanks,

Dan

Rick Schoch

That's nice, Schuyler. It'd fit nicely on my workbench. And I have a pickup :)

Rick Schoch PRRTHS 8245

Charlie Vlk

A quick question…does the furnace filter retain paint particulates well enough so the exhaust, while still having an odor, will not color anything it blows on?

Charlie Vlk