paint bottle seals

bill woelfel

Awhile back there was a thread on re- sealing paint jars where the plastic seal was lost or broken and the result was to use some new sealing plastic (or whatever) sold for use in labs or such. This was not affected by the thinner base model paints. Can anyone point me to this material, I think someone had found an Ebay link.. Thanks,  Bill W

Dave Parker

Parafilm M.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Saran Wrap?

Thanks!
Brian Ehni
(Sent from my iPhone)

On Dec 7, 2021, at 6:19 PM, bill woelfel via groups.io <bwoelfeljr@...> wrote:

Awhile back there was a thread on re- sealing paint jars where the plastic seal was lost or broken and the result was to use some new sealing plastic (or whatever) sold for use in labs or such. This was not affected by the thinner base model paints. Can anyone point me to this material, I think someone had found an Ebay link.. Thanks,  Bill W

Nelson Moyer

I tried Saran Wrap on Floquil bottles, and they destroyed it over time. Parafilm and wax paper will partially dissolve in enamels and lacquers. If you use any of these to seal paint bottles, don’t shake before use.  I’ve quit using wax paper on Tru Color and Model Master paints, since both bottle types seal well without additional protection if the caps are screwed down tightly. Both are safe for acrylic paints.

The easiest way to seal lacquers and enamels is to keep the bottle threads and tops clean so the gaskets seal properly, and to store the bottles inverted.

Tru Color changed their bottles in response to complaints of evaporation in storage. The new bottles are thicker than the original bottles, and the caps seal better.

Nelson Moyer

From: Gary McMills <santafe@...>
Date: 12/8/21 1:30 PM (GMT-10:00)
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Cc: "Claus Schlund (HGM)" <claus@...>

[...]

Thanks Nelson and everyone else who replied to this topic - I have learned something today!

Claus Schlund

[...]

Tim O'Connor

Hear hear! I love this mixer, and it works with every brand of paint. No shaking needed.
The batteries last for a long time too.

Tim O'Connor

On 12/8/2021 7:09 PM, WILLIAM PARDIE wrote:
One of the most used tools in my toolbox ips the battery operated mixer that Micro Mark sells.  There was  a Midel Railroader article listing essential tools and this was high on the list.

Another effective mixer is an ultrasonic cleaner.  I don't seem to see bubbles with either of the above.

Bill Pardie

Sterling, Massachusetts