paint bottle seals

bill woelfel

Awhile back there was a thread on re- sealing paint jars where the plastic seal was lost or broken and the result was to use some new sealing plastic (or whatever) sold for use in labs or such. This was not affected by the thinner base model paints. Can anyone point me to this material, I think someone had found an Ebay link.. Thanks,  Bill W

Dave Parker

Parafilm M. 
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Saran Wrap?

Thanks!
Brian Ehni 
(Sent from my iPhone)

On Dec 7, 2021, at 6:19 PM, bill woelfel via groups.io <bwoelfeljr@...> wrote:

Awhile back there was a thread on re- sealing paint jars where the plastic seal was lost or broken and the result was to use some new sealing plastic (or whatever) sold for use in labs or such. This was not affected by the thinner base model paints. Can anyone point me to this material, I think someone had found an Ebay link.. Thanks,  Bill W

Nelson Moyer

I tried Saran Wrap on Floquil bottles, and they destroyed it over time. Parafilm and wax paper will partially dissolve in enamels and lacquers. If you use any of these to seal paint bottles, don’t shake before use.  I’ve quit using wax paper on Tru Color and Model Master paints, since both bottle types seal well without additional protection if the caps are screwed down tightly. Both are safe for acrylic paints.

The easiest way to seal lacquers and enamels is to keep the bottle threads and tops clean so the gaskets seal properly, and to store the bottles inverted.

Tru Color changed their bottles in response to complaints of evaporation in storage. The new bottles are thicker than the original bottles, and the caps seal better.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Parker via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, December 7, 2021 6:30 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] paint bottle seals

Parafilm M. 
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Douglas Harding

I have been using plastic wrap on Model-Flex bottles with great success. I make sure the top of the bottle and threads are clean after each use. Then place a piece of plastic wrap on the bottle followed by the cap. Model-Flex is water based acrylic. I would not use plastic wrap on any solvent based paint. We all know what excess solvent can do to styrene freight car bodies. It will do the same to plastic wrap.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of BRIAN PAUL EHNI
Sent: Tuesday, December 7, 2021 7:15 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io

Saran Wrap?

Thanks!

Brian Ehni 

(Sent from my iPhone)

On Dec 7, 2021, at 6:19 PM, bill woelfel via groups.io <bwoelfeljr@...> wrote:

Jared Harper

I coat the jar lid threads with Vaseline.

Jared Harper
Athens, GA

Mark Vinski

I cut new gaskets from metal foil backed paper packets such as those used for eye glass wipes or the alcohol wipes used in prepping for injections.

Mark Vinski

Nelson Moyer

Vaseline is petroleum based, so some of its components may be soluble in organic solvent based paints. I don’t know how extensive the contamination may be, but why take the risk? Besides, Vaseline is messy to work with, and you get the same effect by wiping the bottle threads and the inside of the cap with lacquer thinner to keep them clean so the gasket seals. The cap will stay clean if you don’t tip or shake the bottle to mix the paint.

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jared Harper
Sent: Tuesday, December 7, 2021 11:12 PM

Jared Harper
Athens, GA

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Nelson and List Members,

Nelson wrote: "get the same effect by wiping the bottle threads and the inside of the cap with lacquer thinner to keep them clean so the gasket seals"

This is exactly the approach I use, and it works great. I have had opened paint containers last more than a decade doing this.

Nelson further wrote: "The cap will stay clean if you don’t tip or shake the bottle to mix the paint"

I always shake the bottle to mix the paint, and then always have to wipe the bottle threads and the inside of the cap with lacquer thinner to keep them clean. So Nelson, how exactly do you mix your paint? Inquiring minds want to know...

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2021 9:37 AM

Vaseline is petroleum based, so some of its components may be soluble in organic solvent based paints. I don’t know how extensive the contamination may be, but why take the risk? Besides, Vaseline is messy to work with, and you get the same effect by wiping the bottle threads and the inside of the cap with lacquer thinner to keep them clean so the gasket seals. The cap will stay clean if you don’t tip or shake the bottle to mix the paint.

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jared Harper

Jared Harper
Athens, GA

Nelson Moyer

If there is little pigment sediment, I use either an applicator stick or a ‘popsicle’ stick to stir (depends on the amount of sediment, bigger stick for more sediment), then I transfer paint with a disposable plastic pipette. I mix the paint with the pipette by stirring, then draw up some paint and gently expel it back into the bottle a few times before transferring it to a dilution bottle with thinner already added. If you squirt hard, you will make a mess. For small touch-up jobs, I mix the dilution in the airbrush cup.  If there’s a lot of sediment, I use a battery powered paint stirrer from Micro Mark to break up the clumps, then proceed with the above routine.

I store paint bottles in the lids of printer paper boxes sitting on the floor under the layout. Eventually, I’ll build a wall rack for paint bottle storage.

I buy applicator sticks, ‘popsicle’ sticks, and pipettes through a lab supply company, and I order in bulk – by thousand units for each product. One company I’ve used is Ted Pella.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Claus Schlund \(HGM\)
Sent: Wednesday, December 8, 2021 10:31 AM

Nelson wrote: "get the same effect by wiping the bottle threads and the inside of the cap with lacquer thinner to keep them clean so the gasket seals"

This is exactly the approach I use, and it works great. I have had opened paint containers last more than a decade doing this.

Nelson further wrote: "The cap will stay clean if you don’t tip or shake the bottle to mix the paint"

I always shake the bottle to mix the paint, and then always have to wipe the bottle threads and the inside of the cap with lacquer thinner to keep them clean. So Nelson, how exactly do you mix your paint? Inquiring minds want to know...

Claus Schlund

Nelson Moyer

After sending the email below, I remembered another mixing trick I learned for mixing small volumes of reagents in the laboratory where shaking or rapid mechanical stirring could alter the solution/suspension, e.g. denature protein. After adding the ingredients, swirl the bottle  by hand while it is resting on the benchtop. Move your hand in a circular manner at about 2-3 revolutions per second. The diameter of the circle should be about 2-3 in. for small bottle like our paint bottles. Swirl fast enough to mix, but not so fast that you slosh out the contents. I frequently use this mixing method while hand painting from an open bottle.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Nelson Moyer
Sent: Wednesday, December 8, 2021 12:53 PM

If there is little pigment sediment, I use either an applicator stick or a ‘popsicle’ stick to stir (depends on the amount of sediment, bigger stick for more sediment), then I transfer paint with a disposable plastic pipette. I mix the paint with the pipette by stirring, then draw up some paint and gently expel it back into the bottle a few times before transferring it to a dilution bottle with thinner already added. If you squirt hard, you will make a mess. For small touch-up jobs, I mix the dilution in the airbrush cup.  If there’s a lot of sediment, I use a battery powered paint stirrer from Micro Mark to break up the clumps, then proceed with the above routine.

I store paint bottles in the lids of printer paper boxes sitting on the floor under the layout. Eventually, I’ll build a wall rack for paint bottle storage.

I buy applicator sticks, ‘popsicle’ sticks, and pipettes through a lab supply company, and I order in bulk – by thousand units for each product. One company I’ve used is Ted Pella.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Claus Schlund

Gary McMills

Hi All,

I never shake my paints. I stir the paint with a wooden sandwich stick. I bought a pack of 1000 for $4.00 at the local Hobby Lobby. Shaking paint introduces air bubbles into the paint. Also by stirring I don't get any paint on the inside of the cap.

Gary McMills

On 2021-12-08 10:30, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) wrote:

Nelson further wrote: "The cap will stay clean if you don't tip or shake the bottle to mix the paint"

Claus Schlund

Vaseline is petroleum based, so some of its components may be soluble in organic solvent based paints. I don't know how extensive the contamination may be, but why take the risk? Besides, Vaseline is messy to work with, and you get the same effect by wiping the bottle threads and the inside of the cap with lacquer thinner to keep them clean so the gasket seals. The cap will stay clean if you don't tip or shake the bottle to mix the paint.

Jared Harper
Athens, GA

WILLIAM PARDIE

One of the most used tools in my toolbox ips the battery operated mixer that Micro Mark sells.  There was  a Midel Railroader article listing essential tools and this was high on the list.

Another effective mixer is an ultrasonic cleaner.  I don't seem to see bubbles with either of the above.

Bill Pardie

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 12/8/21 1:30 PM (GMT-10:00)
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Cc: "Claus Schlund (HGM)" <claus@...>

Hi All,

I never shake my paints. I stir the paint with a wooden sandwich stick. I bought a pack of 1000 for $4.00 at the local Hobby Lobby. Shaking paint introduces air bubbles into the paint. Also by stirring I don't get any paint on the inside of the cap.

Gary McMills

On 2021-12-08 10:30, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) wrote:

Nelson further wrote: "The cap will stay clean if you don't tip or shake the bottle to mix the paint"

Claus Schlund

Vaseline is petroleum based, so some of its components may be soluble in organic solvent based paints. I don't know how extensive the contamination may be, but why take the risk? Besides, Vaseline is messy to work with, and you get the same effect by wiping the bottle threads and the inside of the cap with lacquer thinner to keep them clean so the gasket seals. The cap will stay clean if you don't tip or shake the bottle to mix the paint.

Jared Harper
Athens, GA

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Thanks Nelson and everyone else who replied to this topic - I have learned something today!

Claus Schlund

Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2021 2:26 PM

After sending the email below, I remembered another mixing trick I learned for mixing small volumes of reagents in the laboratory where shaking or rapid mechanical stirring could alter the solution/suspension, e.g. denature protein. After adding the ingredients, swirl the bottle  by hand while it is resting on the benchtop. Move your hand in a circular manner at about 2-3 revolutions per second. The diameter of the circle should be about 2-3 in. for small bottle like our paint bottles. Swirl fast enough to mix, but not so fast that you slosh out the contents. I frequently use this mixing method while hand painting from an open bottle.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Nelson Moyer
Sent: Wednesday, December 8, 2021 12:53 PM

Nelson Moyer

Claus Schlund

Tim O'Connor

Hear hear! I love this mixer, and it works with every brand of paint. No shaking needed.
The batteries last for a long time too.

Tim O'Connor

On 12/8/2021 7:09 PM, WILLIAM PARDIE wrote:
One of the most used tools in my toolbox ips the battery operated mixer that Micro Mark sells.  There was  a Midel Railroader article listing essential tools and this was high on the list.

Another effective mixer is an ultrasonic cleaner.  I don't seem to see bubbles with either of the above.

Bill Pardie

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts