From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bob Miller
Sent: Tuesday, June 9, 2020 11:31 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Paint color for New Haven orange boxcars

Can anyone on the list suggest a good paint match for the orange the New Haven used on some of its boxcars?

Bill Welch

I am using Tamiya's Orange reduced w/Mr. Color's Leveling thinner, decals by Smoke Box Graphics

Bill Welch

Robert J Miller CFA

Thanks, Bill.

I have some Tamiya Orange in the paint drawer, so that saves me a trip to my LHS. Any reason you’re not using Tamiya’s Thinner?

I am using Tamiya's Orange reduced w/Mr. Color's Leveling thinner, decals by Smoke Box Graphics

Bill Welch

Bill Welch

Yes, on one of the Facebook Airbrushing pages I follow, several people rave about Mr. Color's qualities. I admit I have not sprayed with it and will test before I do my almost ready to paint model.

Bill Welch

Craig Zeni

1c. Re: Paint color for New Haven orange boxcars
From: Bill Welch <fgexbill@...>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2020 20:02:26 EDT

Yes, on one of the Facebook Airbrushing pages I follow, several people rave about Mr. Color's qualities. I admit I have not sprayed with it and will test before I do my almost ready to paint model.

Bill Welch
While I can't say as I've tried the Mr Self Leveling Thinner on Tamiya paints, I can attest to the stuff's goodness. I use it to thin the Mr Color lacquers and it's great stuff. I've bodged a paint job or three by getting a bit heavy on application; with that thinner runs or thick spots self level and it's visible while it's happening. It's otherworldly. I've been told, but have not tried, that it works as well with Tru Color.

Craig Zeni
Cary NC