Paint Selections

Nelson Moyer

I’m putting together a Tru Color paint order, and I have four YMW kits for which there are no designated Tru Color freight car colors. The roads are D&H, DT&I, D&RGW, and N&W. the instructions suggest Scalecoat Oxide Red for the D&H and DT&I cars, and Scalecoat 2 Boxcar Red for the D&RGW and N&W cars. I’d like to hear what paints and paint colors those who model these roads area using. I’d prefer not to be locked in to the three Scalecoat 2 boxcar red shades. Are there some Tru Color freight car colors that work for these roads?

Nelson Moyer

Bill J.

Look into STAR Brand at PBL.  They have a DRGW-specific color.

Bill Jolitz

James Brewer

Nelson,

Regarding N&W, their boxcar color was toward brown; way back, I used Floquil (?) Southern Boxcar Red;; when that went away I now use the Scalecoat II Boxcar Red (2013 a/k/a Boxcar Red No. 1).

In looking at the Tru Color website I noted they offer a Southern Railway boxcar color; I've never seen nor used it. The notes on the website indicate it was used through 1950 so I don't know if it is similar to the Scalecoat II color.

Jim Brewer

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 9:56 AM Bill J. via groups.io <jolitzwr=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Look into STAR Brand at PBL.  They have a DRGW-specific color.

Bill Jolitz

Nelson Moyer

I have a bottle of Floquil Southern Freight Car Brown. Is that the one, or is there another Floquil color for Southern Boxcar Red? I haven’t seen the Tru Color Southern Railway boxcar color, but I have Scalecoat Boxcar Red to compare with the Floquil Southern Freight Car Brown.

Nelson Moyer

Regarding N&W, their boxcar color was toward brown; way back, I used Floquil (?) Southern Boxcar Red;; when that went away I now use the Scalecoat II Boxcar Red (2013 a/k/a Boxcar Red No. 1).

In looking at the Tru Color website I noted they offer a Southern Railway boxcar color; I've never seen nor used it. The notes on the website indicate it was used through 1950 so I don't know if it is similar to the Scalecoat II color.

Jim Brewer

James Brewer

Nelson,

Yes, that is the one!  It has been so long since I had that color I forgot the correct title!.

Jim Brewer

O Fenton Wells

Gentlemen, I believe, (no proof, just from photo observations) that the Floquil  Southern Boxcar Red is for the 1970's and beyond.  The 30's through the 50's were darker and browner...In my humble opinion.  However having said that with some weathering who knows.
Fenton

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

O Fenton Wells

Yes you guys are correct, I'm wrong,  my Floquil bottle says Southern Freight Car Brown, my bad
Fenton

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 1:58 PM O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:
[...]

Tony Thompson

Bill Jolitz wrote:

Look into STAR Brand at PBL.  They have a DRGW-specific color.

And it's darn good paint. I use several of their colors a lot.

Tony Thompson

Bill Keene

On Jun 8, 2021, at 11:53 AM, Tony Thompson <tony@signaturepress.com> wrote:

Bill Jolitz wrote:

Look into STAR Brand at PBL. They have a DRGW-specific color.
Are any of the Star Brand DRGW-specific colors “close enough” to the box car brown/red of other railroads? “Close enough” considering that the rolling stock will be weathered.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

Tim O'Connor

Bill

Yes, of course. For "Star" you can substitute "any brand" and the answer is still Yes.

Star - Accupaint - TruColor - they are exactly the same paint from the same vendor (who sells mostly
to the toy industry)

And like Tony, I really like them. And easier to use than acrylics, if you're used to solvent paints. They
are a little tricky if you're painting colors over other colors (can be used to advantage for weathering)
since the new layer blends into the layer below. (They are not enamels.)

Tim O'Connor

Are any of the Star Brand DRGW-specific colors “close enough” to the box car brown/red of other railroads?  “Close enough” considering that the rolling stock will be weathered.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

Sterling, Massachusetts

WILLIAM PARDIE

.I (like many of you) strive to paint my rolling stock as close to prototype as possible .  With the exception of the Union Pacific, Pennsylvania and a handful of others good weathering makes almost any car "close enough".   This particularly applies when you first fade the car before weathering.

Bill Pardie

>> Look into STAR Brand at PBL.  They have a DRGW-specific color.

Are any of the Star Brand DRGW-specific colors “close enough” to the box car brown/red of other railroads?  “Close enough” considering that the rolling stock will be weathered.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

Chuck Cover

RE: I (like many of you) strive to paint my rolling stock as close to prototype as possible .  With the exception of the Union Pacific, Pennsylvania and a handful of others good weathering makes almost any car "close enough".   This particularly applies when you first fade the car before weathering.

Bill Pardie

I agree with Bill’s philosophy, but go a step farther.  If the FCC (freight car color) you choose is close to the prototype, some simple weathering can make the model a good match for your specific car.  I agree that when choosing the specific paint for your FCC you should go for a close match, but trying to choose a very specific brand and very specific paint color and expecting it to be a perfect match for the prototype is going to disappoint in most cases.

Chuck Cover

Santa Fe, NM

WILLIAM PARDIE

_._,_._,_

to illustraate my earlier comment above afre two Challenger Imp;ort cars.  I’m confident {?) thatr they were imp;orted with a finish very close to Southern Pacific freight car red. Onew of these cars was weathered by myself and one by anmother modeler.  I would find it virtually impossible to determine the original color on these cars and how closely it represented the actual color.

Bill Pardie

gary laakso

Well, they do NOT have the same chalk marks on them!

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock