Topics

Paint stripper saga

Clark Propst

I only mention this because this subject seems to come up alot. Yesterday I decided to build four plastic kits as a change of pace from drilling and pushing in grab irons on resin models. I have three IMWX and one Intermountain AAR 37 design kits to make home road. I had stripped the lettering off the IM kit previously. I thought the IMWX kits were all undecs, but one was lettered NKP. I use Scalecoat stripper. I dipped the car in for about a half hour. Didn't touch the lettering. I did one more dip, no success. I thought, well, I'll leave it NKP. The car was numbered in the 18000 series. I checked Ed Hawkins AAR 37 list and found no cars listed in that series. So, I dipped the body in the stripper for several hours. Finally with scrubbing it came off. They used good paint in the old days  ;  ))
CW Propst

Allan Smith

NKP 18000 Series Boxcars. See Mont Switzer article in Mainline Modeler March 1994 Page 28-29. The NKP Rebuilt some 16000-17999 cars and renumbered them into the 18000 series. I am not an expert in the NKP, but am building NKP cars for my layout, from conductors lists from the Sierra RR in 1954.

Al Smith
Sonora CA

On Sunday, March 29, 2020, 10:47:38 AM PDT, Clark Propst <cepropst@q.com> wrote:

I only mention this because this subject seems to come up alot. Yesterday I decided to build four plastic kits as a change of pace from drilling and pushing in grab irons on resin models. I have three IMWX and one Intermountain AAR 37 design kits to make home road. I had stripped the lettering off the IM kit previously. I thought the IMWX kits were all undecs, but one was lettered NKP. I use Scalecoat stripper. I dipped the car in for about a half hour. Didn't touch the lettering. I did one more dip, no success. I thought, well, I'll leave it NKP. The car was numbered in the 18000 series. I checked Ed Hawkins AAR 37 list and found no cars listed in that series. So, I dipped the body in the stripper for several hours. Finally with scrubbing it came off. They used good paint in the old days  ;  ))
CW Propst

Mont Switzer

Allan and all,

The NKP 18000 AAR 47 rebuilds were programmed at Frankfort. IN Car Shop just before the merger with WAB and N&W.

Not an NKP expert either.  Just had to figure this out when building the models.

Mont Switzer

[...]

Should be 1937 AAR rebuilds.  Can't blame that on SPELL Chucker.  Mont Switzer