Painting Kadee HGC Trucks

Wayne Cohen

Regarding Kadee’s trucks made with HGC (high gravity compound), How well does paint adhere to them? Any types of paint work better on these trucks than others?

Thanks in advance.

Wayne

Dave Parker

I've had no problems painting these truck-frames with conventional acrylics (Vallejo, ModelMaster, etc.), BUT I grit-blast all my trucks before painting.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

John Sykes III

I've used solvent-based paints (Floquil, Scalecoat I & II) with no problem and no grit blasting.  Just clean surface with some solvent first, as they sometimes have an oily coating (mold release?).

James Brewer

I use a rattle can of Rust-Oleum Automobile, #2089 Dark Gray Primer, with no grit blasting; sometimes I wipe the trucks with Isopropyl alcohol before applying the paint.

Jim Brewer

radiodial868

Based upon a recommendation from this group awhile back, I started using this adhesion promoter on all my trucks after a quick clean with IPA, including the HGC Kadees. Eliminated my paint chipping problem.

Dupli-Color CP199 Clear Adhesion Promoter Primer

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007UAXJQ
--
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA