Topics

PE Boxcar 2417

Bob Chaparro

PE Boxcar 2417

A friend sent me this photo from the Brea (CA) Museum.

Seen is Pacific Electric boxcar 2417 in Brea in 1918.

I checked Thompson's SP boxcar book and there is no PE series for this car so it doesn't fall into PE cars from SP's Huntington Common Standard or Harriman Period groups.

Michael Starkey commented that this was a forty-ton, forty-foot car built by Mt. Vernon in 1910. It was acquired from the Old Pacific Electric, where it was in the series 2072-2124.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Bob and Friends,

Old PE boxcars 2072-2124 are listed in CARS OF PACIFIC ELECTRIC V. 3 as being renumbered to New PE 2382-2434, no doubt in conjunction with the 1911 merger which consolidated all the various SP-owned Southern California traction properties into the PE we know and love. There are no photos, diagrams or information about the disposal of these cars.

I found no survivors listed among the MoW cars covered in the above book.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 12:24 PM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

PE Boxcar 2417

A friend sent me this photo from the Brea (CA) Museum.

Seen is Pacific Electric boxcar 2417 in Brea in 1918.

I checked Thompson's SP boxcar book and there is no PE series for this car so it doesn't fall into PE cars from SP's Huntington Common Standard or Harriman Period groups.

Michael Starkey commented that this was a forty-ton, forty-foot car built by Mt. Vernon in 1910. It was acquired from the Old Pacific Electric, where it was in the series 2072-2124.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Dave Parker

Bob:

Did you attache the wrong photo to this message?  I am seeing PE 10067 (not 2417), and it's pretty clearly a 1940s pic (not 1918).  ????
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Dave,

Somebody else attached the photo earlier in the thread. I no long have the early messages on my computer.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆