Topics

Peek-A-Boo Gondolas

Bob Chaparro

Peek-A-Boo Gondolas

I discovered a photo of a "peek-a-boo" gondola on a Facebook page. Some of you won't be able to access this page, unfortunately:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10157666250347661&set=g.417820805597567&type=1&theater&ifg=1

These are basically open-sided pipe gondolas, first developed by the Milwaukee Road and then imitated by the Chicago & North Western.

This is a link to a Railway Age Article, July 22, 1957, Pages 28 and 29.

https://tinyurl.com/rhsorvk

The March 1957 Milwaukee Road Magazine briefly mentions the original idea for this car on Page 2:

https://milwaukeeroadarchives.com/MilwaukeeRoadMagazine/1957March.pdf

A Jim Sands photo:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=72525

Don Leistikow commented on this photo, " The car is representative of an idea put forth by Chalie Rynsky, Traffic Manager of Globe Steel Tubes Company, located on W. Burnham Street, Menomonee Belt District, City of West Milwaukee, Wisconsin.  Charlie was a well known representative in the Traffic Management field of enterprise. And Globe Steel Tubes generated lots of carload traffic.

The storyline unfolds as GST's shipped most, if not all, of its production in open Gondola Cars. Seamless tubing was its basic product. In its day, tapered trolley poles for street railway and interurban cars was just one of the many products, they produced.

Car cleaning was a constant problem and an ever increasing expense.  Of course, GST management continued to prod Charlie, to come up with a solution. Ordering clean cars, does not assure that you will get clean cars.

On invitation, I was treated to a tour of GST by Charlie and found it most interesting. It was at that time, that he told me the story.

Eye-balling some of these cars, Charlie came up with the answer.  He asked the MILW for a group of assigned cars, which would have their sidewalls and floors removed thus, becoming, self cleaning."

Morning Sun Color Guide Volume 2, Page 102 has a photo, I'm told.

The Chicago & North Western Historical Society had an article with photo in the Summer 1996 issue of the NorthWestern Lines magazine. I have no link for this.

I read that the car appears in Train Shed Cyclopedia 70.

Herald King made decals in HO and O scales for the C&NW car.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

mel perry

SSW had similar cars, which they used
to transport cut sugar cane, in the south
mel perry

On Sat, Feb 1, 2020, 2:45 PM Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Todd Horton

The C of Ga modified some USRA clone gons like this for hauling stumps to make dynamite       Todd Horton

On Feb 1, 2020, at 5:45 PM, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

[...]

Rufus Cone

Todd,

Where were these stumps hauled and did they originate on the CG?

There was a Hercules explosives plant for near Brunswick, not served by CG.

Rufus

The C of Ga modified some USRA clone gons like this for hauling stumps to make dynamite       Todd Horton
--
Rufus Cone
Bozeman, MT

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Friends,

While traveling from California to Virginia in 1982 I spotted this SAL stump gondola. It doesn't have the "skeleton" sides of the cars previously under discussion, but does have the sides cut away at floor level for cleaning (as if that ever happened). The car was white, and I think the number was 6890, but only the ghost lettering remained. The car is marked "STUMP WOOD LOADING ONLY".

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆

On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 2:26 AM Rufus Cone <rclist09@...> wrote:
Todd,

Where were these stumps hauled and did they originate on the CG?

There was a Hercules explosives plant for near Brunswick, not served by CG.

Rufus

> The C of Ga modified some USRA clone gons like this for hauling stumps
> to make dynamite       Todd Horton

--
Rufus Cone
Bozeman, MT

The CNW car was not as extensively modified as the Milwaukee cars. Photos that I have seen (they're in the Morningside CNW V2 Color Guide book) show only 1 panel cut out on each side of the car. They were deployed in pulpwood service.

The CNW Historical Society does offer decals and a diagram for  one of these. The Mantua car was recommended as a base for a model. I did one  a few years ago.

For purposes of this group, I believe the CNW cars were modified after the date range interest of this group.

Dave Strahlendorf

Todd Horton

I’m not sure where they originated but I always assumed they were sent to Brunswick for unloading. There was so many forest operations in South Ga that there could have been several locations of loading points. I’ve never located a file about these cars but I know they existed from talking to former employees of the railroad. There is a paint stencil diagram for these cars as they were modified for stump service. Todd Horton