PFE orange reefers about 1950

ed_mines

There's a nice color video on you tube about dieselization on the New Haven taken around 1950 which includes some PFE reefers.
The particular portion of the NH was the one coming from Maybrook where NH interchanged with Erie.
From the color Delano photos it looks like many cars needed a new paint job during WWII. In the above video looks like some of the car have been freshly painted.
Tony, did car washing/repainting stop during WWII?

Tony Thompson

Ed Mines wrote:

From the color Delano photos it looks like many cars needed a new paint job during WWII. In the above video looks like some of the car have been freshly painted.

Tony, did car washing/repainting stop during WWII?

I’m sure it did in general. For PFE, the shop data exist at CSRM., and I have tabulated all of it. For World War II, PFE continued to paint about three-fourths as many cars as in years right before the war and right after — but they had a big rebuilding program (with the blessing of the War Production Board), and those rebuilds were most of the totals. Washing was well down, like a third of what was done before the war.

Tony Thompson