PFE Reefer in NYC Express Train

Chris Barkan

Interesting photo of two NYC GPs on an elevated structure somewhere (St. Louis?) with train consist including a green PFE reefer and numerous NYC baggage cars.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Q7sAAOSw74hgb7A5/s-l1600.jpg
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Duplicate-Railroad-Slide-New-York-Central-NYC-GP9s-Mail-Express-Train/384085407769
--
Chris Barkan
Champaign, IL

lrkdbn

Maybe I'm wrong but is the PFE car one of their freight type wood reefers converted to express service like they did with steel R40-10 cars? Somehow it doesn't look like the regular wood express reefers.
Larry King

Jack Mullen

On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 04:34 PM, lrkdbn wrote:
Maybe I'm wrong but is the PFE car one of their freight type wood reefers converted to express service like they did with steel R40-10 cars? Somehow it doesn't look like the regular wood express reefers.
If memory serves, the group of R40-10s were the only freight reefers to enter express service.  In the photo, there's a tapered shadowline from the ice hatch platform to the roof. That's a giveaway that the roof is arched. The car looks to be one of the 50' express reefers as rebuilt c1954 with narrow fascia and relocated lettering.  The photo does make it  look like a shorter car, but the whole consist is foreshortened by telephoto.

Jack Mullen

Tony Thompson

Larry King wrote:

Maybe I'm wrong but is the PFE car one of their freight type wood reefers converted to express service like they did with steel R40-10 cars? Somehow it doesn't look like the regular wood express reefers.

Well, as it happens, you are wrong. It's a totally conventional PFE passenger express reefer.

Tony Thompson

Jerry Michels

Beautiful photo.  This is STL.  The TRRA's High Line.  The old, but in service TRRA lines are visible below that serviced a number of warehouses before the Arch was built.  Jerry Michels

Tim O'Connor

WHAT A PHOTO! Wow. Definitely St Louis. That concrete shoreline runs for a good distance.

A rebuilt PFE BR-1 - Before the rebuilding the road name was written on a wide fascia "letterboard".

Tim O'Connor

On 4/10/2021 6:10 PM, Chris Barkan wrote:
Interesting photo of two NYC GPs on an elevated structure somewhere (St. Louis?) with train consist including a green PFE reefer and numerous NYC baggage cars.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Q7sAAOSw74hgb7A5/s-l1600.jpg
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Duplicate-Railroad-Slide-New-York-Central-NYC-GP9s-Mail-Express-Train/384085407769
--
Chris Barkan
Champaign, IL

Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

Maybe we should bug Steve Funaro for a resin kit. :-) These PFE BR-1 express reefers enjoyed long
careers from the 1920's to 1960 and perhaps later. And they travelled all over.

Tim O'Connor

On 4/11/2021 11:39 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

WHAT A PHOTO! Wow. Definitely St Louis. That concrete shoreline runs for a good distance.

A rebuilt PFE BR-1 - Before the rebuilding the road name was written on a wide fascia "letterboard".

Tim O'Connor

On 4/10/2021 6:10 PM, Chris Barkan wrote:
Interesting photo of two NYC GPs on an elevated structure somewhere (St. Louis?) with train consist including a green PFE reefer and numerous NYC baggage cars.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Q7sAAOSw74hgb7A5/s-l1600.jpg
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Duplicate-Railroad-Slide-New-York-Central-NYC-GP9s-Mail-Express-Train/384085407769
--
Chris Barkan
Champaign, IL

Sterling, Massachusetts

Ray Hutchison

Those are all NYC mail storage cars behind the PFE express reefer?

Tom Madden

On Sun, Apr 11, 2021 at 09:49 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

Maybe we should bug Steve Funaro for a resin kit. :-) These PFE BR-1 express reefers enjoyed long
careers from the 1920's to 1960 and perhaps later. And they travelled all over.
On the secondary market, the Sunshine kits that do the worst are the express reefers. I guess freight car folks think of them as passenger cars, and there aren't enough passenger car modelers to pick up the slack.

Tom Madden

mopacfirst

I watch the Sunshine items closely.  I think the express reefers suffer from a double whammy, one being the most significant issue, that this prototype was later done in plastic, by Walthers and maybe others.  The other issue with these wood-side express reefers being that they were issued with lettering for a number of roads who only owned them, and maybe only owned a small number, for a short time.  There are a number of other Sunshine releases that were later done in plastic, sometimes only a couple years after the Sunshine release, which effectively torpedoed the sales of the resin kit.

Ron Merrick

Tim O'Connor

Unfortunately Martin chose the prototypes - General American wood sheathed and the
later all steel cars - that both became excellent mass market plastic models. Prices for
brass models of GN steel express box cars and express reefers have held up rather well
I think because they are distinctive and there is no plastic alternative.

How is the old passenger car market doing anyway? I saw an article on a huge uptick
for Marklin train set sales in 2020... I wonder if anything like that happened here.

Tim O'Connor

On 4/11/2021 7:09 PM, Tom Madden via groups.io wrote:
On Sun, Apr 11, 2021 at 09:49 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

Maybe we should bug Steve Funaro for a resin kit. :-) These PFE BR-1 express reefers enjoyed long
careers from the 1920's to 1960 and perhaps later. And they travelled all over.
On the secondary market, the Sunshine kits that do the worst are the express reefers. I guess freight car folks think of them as passenger cars, and there aren't enough passenger car modelers to pick up the slack.

Tom Madden

Sterling, Massachusetts

kevinhlafferty

I had also noticed that the Sunshine express reefer kits don't do well on eBay but I had always assumed it was due to the availability of reasonable quality plastic models; specifically Branchline/Atlas for the welded cars and both Walthers and BLI for the wood cars. I think the lack of availability of an accurate plastic kit/assembled model would justify the effort required in producing a kit (i.e. sales). I think an F&C or Resin Car Works or Speedwitch kit is a great idea and I would definitely be in the market for at least 1.

Kevin Lafferty

Steve SANDIFER