PFE reefers in context

Group,

Following along through link from Bob's photo posting.

A line of PFE reefers showing weathering patterns from the day.

http://digitalcollections.uwyo.edu/luna/servlet/detail/uwydbuwy~107~107~124~316791?qvq=q%3Arailroad&mi=1740&trs=3026

Interesting that this '50's era black and white paint scheme line up is still mostly wood sided cars.

Dan Smith

Tim O'Connor

Some nice weathering contrast in this shot too. :-)

On 6/19/2021 5:38 AM, Dan Smith wrote:
Group,

Following along through link from Bob's photo posting.

A line of PFE reefers showing weathering patterns from the day.

http://digitalcollections.uwyo.edu/luna/servlet/detail/uwydbuwy~107~107~124~316791?qvq=q%3Arailroad&mi=1740&trs=3026

Interesting that this '50's era black and white paint scheme line up is still mostly wood sided cars.

Dan Smith

Sterling, Massachusetts

Bob Chaparro

Photo: PFE Reefers At Omaha (Undated)

A photo from the University of Wyoming:

http://digitalcollections.uwyo.edu/luna/servlet/detail/uwydbuwy~107~107~124~316791:Union-Pacific-slide-boxes-#1--mostl?qvq=q:railroad&mi=1740&trs=3026

Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

Not a great photo but useful for weathering reference.

First reefer on the right shows evidence of new boards.

Bob Chaparro

Moderator

Railroad Citrus Industry Modeling Group

https://groups.io/g/RailroadCitrusIndustryModelingGroup

Tony Thompson

Dan Smith wrote:
Interesting that this '50's era black and white paint scheme line up is still mostly wood sided cars.
Yes, the PFE book will show you data that as late as 1960, most cars were still wood-sheathed. I don’t know the date of this photo, but it is very obviously after PFE stopped washing cars.

Tony Thompson
tony@signaturepress.com

Schuyler Larrabee

And Tony, while I want to get a copy of "The Book" I have not yet done so. Could you let on the approximate time when "PFE stopped washing cars?"

TIA

Schuyler