Topics

Photo: ACL 17859

Bob Chaparro

Photo: ACL 17859

A photo from the Collier Museums:

http://i.colliergov.net/museum/zp-core/full-image.php?a=immokalee-historic-archive&i=81.9.19.jpg&q=75&wmk=collier&dsp=Protected view

Not a great photo but at least a partial view of this ACL ventilated boxcar.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

mel perry

those are wierd looking wstermelons
mel perry

On Sat, Dec 21, 2019, 7:13 PM Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: ACL 17859

A photo from the Collier Museums:

http://i.colliergov.net/museum/zp-core/full-image.php?a=immokalee-historic-archive&i=81.9.19.jpg&q=75&wmk=collier&dsp=Protected view

Not a great photo but at least a partial view of this ACL ventilated boxcar.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Douglas Harding

They look like pumpkins to me.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Not a great photo but at least a partial view of this ACL ventilated boxcar.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Donald B. Valentine

   Perhaps, Mel, but I wonder if they are just quite a bit larger than we are used to.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Eric Hansmann

Those could be of the Moon and Stars variety, or Sugar Baby. There have been many varietals. Here are some.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Dec 22, 2019, at 7:59 AM, Douglas Harding <doug.harding@...> wrote:

They look like pumpkins to me.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Not a great photo but at least a partial view of this ACL ventilated boxcar.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Bruce Smith

Eric's post points out that produce that would have been loaded into freight in the steam era may at times have little resemblance to what you might see in the market today. Agriculture and the genetics of the food raised have changed radically. New varieties of crops are continually created by cross breeding and selection to meet threats such as disease, and market pressures, such as no bruises or blemishes.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, Al

Not a great photo but at least a partial view of this ACL ventilated boxcar.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Matthew Hurst

One on the left back of the truck looks like an abnormally large neck pumpkin.... the one that looks like a U....at least that’s what my wife says.

Love the cars!

Matthew Hurst
Modeling the late great PRR and the tini tiny H&BTM
Winchester, VA

On Dec 22, 2019, at 7:59 AM, Douglas Harding <doug.harding@...> wrote:

They look like pumpkins to me.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Not a great photo but at least a partial view of this ACL ventilated boxcar.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Donald B. Valentine

   I wondered about pumpkins as well, Doug, but these have too much length for any pumpkin
variety I've ever seen even some grown hereabouts that have gone well over 1,000 pounds. Some
have been carved into Cindarella's coach for display at fairs.

My best, Don Valentine

radiodial868

Southern-grown watermelons.  Real thick rind (made great watermelon pickles) deep red juicy flesh with lots of black seeds. Weighed a ton, but shipped and stored well. Fell out of favor in the early 1970's because of that weight, thick rind and seeds.  So, we now get those bland, tasteless, smaller and sometimes seedless things in the stores.
RJ Dial
(ex USDA guy)