Topics

Photo: Alaska RR Flat Car 12812 With Load

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Alaska RR Flat Car 12812 With Load

Photo from the Sherman Stebbins Collection:

https://www.alaskarails.org/historical2/Stebbins/Flatbed-cargo.jpg

Caption:

"Fish-belly flat ARR 12812 most likely being loaded in Whittier. The photo is after October 1958 the build date of the flat car. I suggest it is during the Whittier cleanup after the military left and turned the property over to the Alaska Railroad. There were over one hundred old travel trailers and house trailers abandoned in Whittier. They were brought in in the early 50's to house civilian and military families during construction of the Hodge Building and other facilities."

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Tim O'Connor

There's an excellent shot of ARR 12889 in the Vancouver online collection. Built by THRALL.
I don't think many 50 ton 53'6" flat cars were still being built at this late date. The series
was 12800 to 12898 in 1965. Strangely I can find no ORER entry for the Alaska prior to 1965.
Anyone know whether the ARR is listed, and where can it be found?

On 12/7/2019 1:49 PM, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io wrote:

Photo: Alaska RR Flat Car 12812 With Load

Photo from the Sherman Stebbins Collection:

https://www.alaskarails.org/historical2/Stebbins/Flatbed-cargo.jpg

Caption:

"Fish-belly flat ARR 12812 most likely being loaded in Whittier. The photo is after October 1958 the build date of the flat car. I suggest it is during the Whittier cleanup after the military left and turned the property over to the Alaska Railroad. There were over one hundred old travel trailers and house trailers abandoned in Whittier. They were brought in in the early 50's to house civilian and military families during construction of the Hodge Building and other facilities."

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Sterling, Massachusetts

Dennis Storzek

On Sat, Dec 7, 2019 at 11:18 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
Strangely I can find no ORER entry for the Alaska prior to 1965.
That's likely because the ARR didn't interchange with anyone, so no one in the 'lower 48' had any need for information on their car fleet. That changed in 1963 with the introduction of the Hydro Train barge service to Seattle. I imagine it took a while before they realized they should be listed in the ORER.

Dennis Storzek

Tim O'Connor

I didn't know that! So every Alaskan freight car on delivery had to be loaded
onto a cargo ship! Including this one in Los Angeles in 1958. :-)

On 12/7/2019 2:39 PM, Dennis Storzek wrote:
On Sat, Dec 7, 2019 at 11:18 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
Strangely I can find no ORER entry for the Alaska prior to 1965.
That's likely because the ARR didn't interchange with anyone, so no one in the 'lower 48' had any need for information on their car fleet. That changed in 1963 with the introduction of the Hydro Train barge service to Seattle. I imagine it took a while before they realized they should be listed in the ORER.

Dennis Storzek

Sterling, Massachusetts

Curt Fortenberry

Dennis is exactly right as to ARR ORER data.   ARR kept it’s own roster info but all goods came by ship the old fashioned way.  All the locomotives too had to be by ship as well.  It was considered an overseas delivery.

Curt Fortenberry

Bruce Smith

Note that the camping trailer appears to be without wheels and with a significant amount of piping underneath.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

mopacfirst

Doesn't that welded flatcar look familiar?  I saw the note about it being built by Thrall, and it's probably not significantly different from a 70 ton car.  This is one that would be nice as a model.

Ron Merrick