Photo: Alton Aluminum Boxcar 1200

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Alton Aluminum Boxcar 1200

Photo courtesy of Classic Trains:

https://www.trains.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/20210920.jpg

Caption:

“Alton Route was one of several railroads to dabble with experimental aluminum boxcars for express service. Note the steam line (horizontal pipe) and signal line (small hose below the brake hose) for passenger service. Alton photo”

I’m just guessing but behind those aluminum painted journal covers are roller bearings which replaced the original solid bearings. Just a guess.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Clark Propst

I know the M&StL versions had hollow axles for lighter weight, maybe they all did? They were an issue. the axle would suck the waste out of the journal box resulting in hot boxes.
Clark Propst