Topics

Photo: Applying Miller Lube Packing To A PRR H-21 Hopper (1955)

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Applying Miller Lube Packing To A PRR H-21 Hopper (1955)

A photo from the Hagley Digital Archives

https://digital.hagley.org/PRR_20735?solr_nav%5Bid%5D=36c2adf3539191ccdf0d&solr_nav%5Bpage%5D=36&solr_nav%5Boffset%5D=6

Click on the photo to enlarge it.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

william darnaby

I got to meet Mr. Miller some 40 years ago at the Miller-Felpax plant in Winona and he must have been about 90 at that time.  I was the project engineer at EMD responsible for the wick lubricators that applied the oil to the bronze traction motor suspension bearings.  The company got its start with what you see in the photo and they transitioned to locomotive support bearings, especially as they saw the transition to freight car roller bearings.  They had a patented and very secretive process...they would not even tell us or GE how it worked...to maximize the wicking of oil in the wicks that were made of felt.  Of course, that same roller bearing technology caught up with them for new locomotives too but I am sure there is still quite an aftermarket for old locos.

Bill Darnaby