Topics

Photo: Assorted Boxcars (NYC, MC, PRR & Wabash)

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Assorted Boxcars (NYC, MC, PRR & Wabash)

A 1921 photo from the Duke University Archives:

https://repository.duke.edu/dc/outdooradvertising/XXX0660

Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Gary Ray

Hi Bob,

I really appreciate all the photo links you are sharing from the 20’s.  I will copy the billboard image from this link.  Also will investigate Duke’s billboard site more.

Gary Ray

Magalia, CA

Photo: Assorted Boxcars (NYC, MC, PRR & Wabash)

A 1921 photo from the Duke University Archives:

https://repository.duke.edu/dc/outdooradvertising/XXX0660

Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Matt Goodman

Duke’s advertising collection is quite good. My town of residence is pretty well covered, though unfortunately, there aren’t a lot of close-up freight car photos like this one.

Regardless, they are great for contextual details (cars, trolleys, roads, buildings and people) given that the billboard owners were trying to show how busy the location is. Lots of eyeballs!

Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio

Sent from my mobile