Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

From the date and paint scheme, the car recently was painted.

This Class Bx-11 was on of 2,000 boxcars (Series 19000-20550) built in 1929 as single wood sheathed cars. These were the first Santa Fe boxcars to be delivered with geared handbrake wheels.

Westerfield model:

https://id18538.securedata.net/westerfieldmodels.com/merchantmanager/popup_image.php?pID=307

This car was rebuilt in the early 1940s with steel side and end extensions. Here is an example:

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-tv9q7h9wR_I/Xf5jrI642WI/AAAAAAAAoLI/nIcuXpGuiG4sS1YQ39O8iWaQDFSDhw9VQCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/ATSF%2BBx-11%2B124518%2Bwith%2B8-inch%2Broof%2Bextension%2Bin%2BNew%2BBritain.jpg

One note I have indicates the full steel sheathing, as seen in the SMU photo, was applied in 1956. There were still 261 cars in this series rostered in 1974 but none by 1977.

There were four other series of Bx-11 cars.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Kenneth Montero

Bob,

Thank you for putting together this collage of photographs to show the changes to this car over time, especially the application of exterior steel sheeting in the 1950's. It has been quite enlightening.

Ken Montero

On 10/11/2020 1:08 PM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Photo: ATSF Boxcar 19993 Bx-11 (1959)

A photo from the SMU Libraries: