Topics

Photo: ATSF (?) Boxcar 9260 With Pinto Bean Load (1914)

Bob Chaparro

Photo: ATSF (?) Boxcar 9260 With Pinto Bean Load (1914)

A photo from the University of New Mexico:

https://econtent.unm.edu/digital/collection/gkcpc/id/26/rec/146

The photo can be enlarged.

"Train car shipped in November of 1914 with goods donated by Gross, Kelly & Co. to the Belgium Relief Commission, run by Herbert Hoover. Gross, Kelly & Co. was one of the pioneer wholesale and retail mercantile companies in the Southwest."

Do pinto beans go well with Belgium waffles?

Note the placard on the car reads "Explosives". (Don't go there, readers.)

I could not find a listing for this car, built in 1897, among my Santa Fe records but the end reporting marks appear to include "&SF". Perhaps this car was from a subsidiary road.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Bob,

Looking at this image, I think the reporting marks might actually be CCC&StL 9260, not ATSF. If this is the case, it is from series 9001-9984, 36ft IL, 40-ton, 167 cars listed in the 12-1930 ORER

The railroad workers making chalk marks on the side of the car are going to run out of space soon!

Claus Schlund

Photo: ATSF (?) Boxcar 9260 With Pinto Bean Load (1914)

A photo from the University of New Mexico:

https://econtent.unm.edu/digital/collection/gkcpc/id/26/rec/146

The photo can be enlarged.

"Train car shipped in November of 1914 with goods donated by Gross, Kelly & Co. to the Belgium Relief Commission, run by Herbert Hoover. Gross, Kelly & Co. was one of the pioneer wholesale and retail mercantile companies in the Southwest."

Do pinto beans go well with Belgium waffles?

Note the placard on the car reads "Explosives". (Don't go there, readers.)

I could not find a listing for this car, built in 1897, among my Santa Fe records but the end reporting marks appear to include "&SF". Perhaps this car was from a subsidiary road.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

earlyrail

Closer to the photo date.
series 9000 - 9999  60,000 cpy  918 car
Jan 1915 ORER

Howard Garner

akerboomk

That’s a lot of chalk marks on the car side!

I’m wondering if the end reporting marks are “…&SD” (or “SL”) ??

--
Ken Akerboom

Eric Hansmann

I agree. This is a Big Four boxcar. The lettering follows what the NYC was applying to their cars in this timeframe. Part of the NYCL oval can be seen to the right of the banner.

It’s interesting to see the build date stencil look newer than the weigh date stencil. You do not see that everyday.

And I’m surprised nobody has commented on the Explosives placard on the door and linking that to the pinto beans banner.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

[...]

Ray Breyer

Um...you can zoom into the corner of the end, and can clearly read the CCC&StL.
Why would anyone think this is a Santa Fe car?

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

On Wednesday, September 30, 2020, 03:31:48 PM CDT, Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

[...]

Several persons who saw this photo also believed it was a Santa Fe subsidiary car because they, like me, do not have as good a resolution on their monitors as you apparently have.

I Photoshopped the photo and zoomed in, but again, monitor limitations came into play.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA