Topics

Photo: Big Four Boxcar (1906)

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Big Four Boxcar (1906)

A photo from the Historic Pittsburgh website:

https://historicpittsburgh.org/islandora/object/pitt%3A8223.336.RR/viewer

Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

PRR Boxcar 13801 and other boxcars also seen.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Charlie Vlk

All-

The N&W boxcar looks like it has a door that closes to the inside of the car…I don’t recall seeing that arrangement before.

It is also interesting to see how many early cars had what we would call “Plug” doors where the door cammed into the opening with a locking bar.

Charlie Vlk

A photo from the Historic Pittsburgh website:

https://historicpittsburgh.org/islandora/object/pitt%3A8223.336.RR/viewer

Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

PRR Boxcar 13801 and other boxcars also seen.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Tony Thompson

Charlie Vlk wrote:

It is also interesting to see how many early cars had what we would call “Plug” doors where the door cammed into the opening with a locking bar.

     Around the turn of the 20th century, they were called "flush" doors.

Tony Thompson

charles slater

They were required to be in the up position unless the car was covered by a load over the end, or used as an idler car between two other cars and was covered.
Charlie Slater

Sent from Outlook

The N&W boxcar looks like it has a door that closes to the inside of the car…I don’t recall seeing that arrangement before.

It is also interesting to see how many early cars had what we would call “Plug” doors where the door cammed into the opening with a locking bar.

Charlie Vlk

A photo from the Historic Pittsburgh website:

https://historicpittsburgh.org/islandora/object/pitt%3A8223.336.RR/viewer

Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

PRR Boxcar 13801 and other boxcars also seen.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Kenneth Montero

To the right of the Big Four boxcar are two very different New York Central and Hudson River boxcars - very different sizes, lettering schemes, trucks.

Ken Montero

On 10/07/2020 12:19 PM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Photo: Big Four Boxcar (1906)

A photo from the Historic Pittsburgh website:

https://historicpittsburgh.org/islandora/object/pitt%3A8223.336.RR/viewer

Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

PRR Boxcar 13801 and other boxcars also seen.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Schuyler Larrabee

I find the “reporting marks” on the first car interesting:

“PENNA. CO.

Schuyler

On 10/07/2020 12:19 PM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Photo: Big Four Boxcar (1906)

A photo from the Historic Pittsburgh website:

https://historicpittsburgh.org/islandora/object/pitt%3A8223.336.RR/viewer

Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

PRR Boxcar 13801 and other boxcars also seen.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Benjamin Hom

Schuyler Larrabee wrote:
"I find the “reporting marks” on the first car interesting:
'PENNA. CO.'"

This indicates a car assigned to Lines West of Pittsburgh, which were operated by a separate holding company from PRR between 1870 and 1920.  Think of it as something akin to the Eastern and Western Roman Empires.

Ben Hom

Eric Hansmann

There are actually three NYC&HR boxcars in the image with three different lettering styles. The car with the NYCL oval might have been the one most recently shopped with the newest lettering presentation.

I’m surprised no one has mentioned the left-opening doors on three of the six boxcars in the photo. It was a common feature in this era.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN