Topics

Photo: Boxcar Load Restraining System (Circa 1940s)

Bob Chaparro

A photo from the Virginia Tech University Library:

https://imagebase.lib.vt.edu/image_viewer.php?q=ns1128

This photo can be enlarged.

Can anyone identify the load restraining system?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Todd Sullivan

Hi Bob,

I think it's called steel strapping and furring strips.  The clue is the device held by the worker - it is used to tension and then crimp the steel strapping.  Not hi-tech, but cheap and probably effective.

Todd Sullivan

Brent Greer

So, a completely different question from looking at this picture:  whose version of radial roof would this be, based upon the visible stampings as we see them from the underside?

Brent

Dr. J. Brent Greer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Todd Sullivan via groups.io <sullivant41@...>
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2020 3:53 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Boxcar Load Restraining System (Circa 1940s)

Hi Bob,

I think it's called steel strapping and furring strips.  The clue is the device held by the worker - it is used to tension and then crimp the steel strapping.  Not hi-tech, but cheap and probably effective.

Todd Sullivan

np328

I'll second Todd's reply. I recall working with those tools as a teenager. The tools on the floor are crimpers, once the banding is snugged up, a soft metal C shaped piece is placed over the strapping and crimped tight when the arms are drawn together. 
                                                      Of the radial roof, it does not readily appear to be NP style                                Jim Dick - St. Paul MN

Charlie Vlk

All-

Signode was one of the major suppliers of the strap systems IIRC.
Charlie Vlk

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Todd Sullivan via groups.io
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2020 2:54 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

Hi Bob,

Todd Sullivan

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

It does not look like a Viking, as the corrugations are not visible.  It has widely-spaced carlines, with intermediate stiffeners.  Didn’t NP have roofs like that on some classes?

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brent Greer
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2020 4:05 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Boxcar Load Restraining System (Circa 1940s)

So, a completely different question from looking at this picture:  whose version of radial roof would this be, based upon the visible stampings as we see them from the underside?

Brent

Dr. J. Brent Greer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Todd Sullivan via groups.io <sullivant41@...>
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2020 3:53 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

Hi Bob,

Todd Sullivan

Tony Thompson

Gatwood, Elden  wrote:

It does not look like a Viking, as the corrugations are not visible.  It has widely-spaced carlines, with intermediate stiffeners.  Didn’t NP have roofs like that on some classes?

Remember that early Viking did not have corrugations.

Tony Thompson

Tony Thompson

Bob Chaparro  wrote:

A photo from the Virginia Tech University Library:
This photo can be enlarged.
Can anyone identify the load restraining system?

I don't think that's a boxcar system. It looks to me like they have strapped all the cartons together with steel strapping to hold them all together. I don't know that it's anchored to the car interior at all.

Tony Thompson

David

So, a completely??different question from looking at this picture:?? whose version of radial roof would this be, based upon the visible stampings as we see them from the underside?
Climax radial, N&W's favorite in the late 1920s and early 1930s.

David Thompson

James Brewer

From the NWHS archives for the Chicago-Cleveland Climax Radial Roof:

Jim Brewer

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 8:12 PM David via groups.io <jaydeet2001=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
> So, a completely??different question from looking at this picture:??
> whose version of radial roof would this be, based upon the visible
> stampings as we see them from the underside?

Climax radial, N&W's favorite in the late 1920s and early 1930s.

David Thompson

Bob Chaparro

I see the strapping and furring strips. But what about the boards with the indents or holes in them?
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Bruce Smith

Bob,

I believe that those are the ends of cardboard boxes that make up the load being restrained.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

On Sep 1, 2020, at 11:10 AM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

I see the strapping and furring strips. But what about the boards with the indents or holes in them?
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA