Topics

Photo: Boxcar Load Restraining System (Circa 1940s)

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Boxcar Load Restraining System (Circa 1940s)

A photo from the Virginia Tech University Library:

https://imagebase.lib.vt.edu/image_viewer.php?q=ns1128

This photo can be enlarged.

Can anyone identify the load restraining system?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Todd Sullivan

Hi Bob,

I think it's called steel strapping and furring strips.  The clue is the device held by the worker - it is used to tension and then crimp the steel strapping.  Not hi-tech, but cheap and probably effective.

Todd Sullivan

Brent Greer

So, a completely different question from looking at this picture:  whose version of radial roof would this be, based upon the visible stampings as we see them from the underside?

Brent

Dr. J. Brent Greer