Topics

Photo: Boxcar Underframe

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Boxcar Underframe

An undated photo from the Tulane University Digital Library:

https://digitallibrary.tulane.edu/islandora/object/tulane:327

The reference is to the flood in Pueblo, CO, so the year would be 1921.

Is it just me or do the two longitudinal frame members seem spaced unusually far apart?

By the way, that was a really bad flood:

https://groups.io/g/RailroadCitrusIndustryModelingGroup/message/605?p=,,,20,0,0,0::Created,,flood,20,2,0,32651119

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Dennis Storzek

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 11:16 AM, Bob Chaparro wrote:
Is it just me or do the two longitudinal frame members seem spaced unusually far apart?
Yes. It actually looks like a passenger car underframe; I wonder if it is an express car?

Dennis Storzek

Dennis Storzek

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 11:16 AM, Bob Chaparro wrote:
https://digitallibrary.tulane.edu/islandora/object/tulane:327
This photo was bugging me as I can't ever recall seeing a draft gear like this, so I did some research. Turns out this is a pattented Commonwealth "Transom Draft Gear". The springing is contained in the body bolster. They are illustrated on page 510 of the 1922 CBC. It appears to be combined with a Commonwealth cast steel replacement underframe.

Dennis Storzek