Photo: Budweiser Reefers (1933)

Bob Chaparro

Photo from the Indiana Historical Society:

https://images.indianahistory.org/digital/collection/P0129/id/2094/rec/168

Click on the arrows and scroll to enlarge.

MRS (Manufacturers Ry. Co.) reporting marks.

The photo is dated June 1933.

Prohibition ended in December 1933. So, assuming those are case of beer in the reefers, what is going on here?

Answer: The Cullen-Harrison Act, signed about 10 months before the 21st Amendment was ratified in December 1933, allowed people to drink low-alcohol content beer and wine. Incoming President Franklin D. Roosevelt had the Volstead Act amended in April 1933 to allow people to have a beer, or two, while they waited for the 21st Amendment to be ratified. The first team of Budweiser Clydesdales was sent to the White House to give President Roosevelt a ceremonial case of beer.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

I thought those checkerboard cars were Ralston-Purina. 

Thanks!
Brian Ehni 
(Sent from my iPhone)

On May 22, 2021, at 10:07 AM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

https://images.indianahistory.org/digital/collection/P0129/id/2094/rec/168

Prohibition ended in December 1933. So, assuming those are case of beer in the reefers, what is going on here?

Answer: The Cullen-Harrison Act, signed about 10 months before the 21st Amendment was ratified in December 1933, allowed people to drink low-alcohol content beer and wine. Incoming President Franklin D. Roosevelt had the Volstead Act amended in April 1933 to allow people to have a beer, or two, while they waited for the 21st Amendment to be ratified. The first team of Budweiser Clydesdales was sent to the White House to give President Roosevelt a ceremonial case of beer.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Richard Townsend

So did the beer thieves

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

-----Original Message-----
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Sent: Sat, May 22, 2021 8:17 am
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Budweiser Reefers (1933)

I thought those checkerboard cars were Ralston-Purina. 

Thanks!
Brian Ehni 
(Sent from my iPhone)

On May 22, 2021, at 10:07 AM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Scott

I wonder if the checkerboard paint scheme was considered a "Billboard" and had to be repainted around 1937?  Pretty cool though haven't seen that before.

Scott McDonald