Topics

Photo: C&O Hopper 56516 With Lump Coal Load

Bob Chaparro

Photo: C&O Hopper 56516 With Lump Coal Load

An undated photo from West Virginia University:

https://wvhistoryonview.org/image/003502.jpg

1930 or later,

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

John Holmes

Ok folks, I am not a coal road modeler, but my curiosity is too much.  This coal load needs an explanation from those in the know.  The lumps are placed so well...better than some patios that I have seen.

John Holmes

On Jul 9, 2020, at 9:55 AM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Photo: C&O Hopper 56516 With Lump Coal Load

An undated photo from West Virginia University:

https://wvhistoryonview.org/image/003502.jpg

1930 or later,

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Dennis Storzek

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 01:30 PM, John Holmes wrote:
 This coal load needs an explanation from those in the know.  The lumps are placed so well...better than some patios that I have seen.
Like a builder's photo... extra care in preparation.

Dennis Storzek

Bill McClure

Generally, for certain publicity photos of the era the final heap was placed by hand. Every piece. There are C&O photos that show miners doing that.

Bill